A Personal Message to Critical Mass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
BentMikey said:
I rather suspect that whole roadworks/traffic light phasing is nothing more than an urban legend. Sounds good, nice way to blame someone else for the traffic problem, and easy to spread, but no truth to it.

I suspect that too, which is why we need a Jonesy or a Dom - to put an end to suspicion and dazzle us with facts ;).

Norm

brokenbetty said:
I was thinking about this today as I bimbled in to work.

I think Critical Mass has it the wrong way around. Instead of a mass of cyclists, we need a mass of cars.

Once a year, everyone who normally commutes or otherwise uses a bike as day to day transport should get hold of a car and drive instead. For those who can't drive, as many as possible get a taxi.

The aim is to demonstrate that people who chose to cycle are not slowing traffic down, they reduce congestion. People on bikes benefit everyone, even drivers. To reinforce this anyone who would normally be on a bike would display a large bike graphic in their back window.

In itself that won't encourage anyone to ride a bike, but it would encourage the habitual drivers to think of bikes as a good thing for other people at least. And just that acceptance would make a real difference both to how cyclists are treated today and to whether people think of cycling as a viable way of getting around in future.

Really, when you think about it like that we should be the WMV's best friend for helping to keep his roads clear :biggrin:
Aside from the further reference to White Man Van (should it not be WVM?) it appears that some French motorcyclists have run with a very similar idea. I especially liked the idea of taking over the Métro. xx(

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
BentMikey said:
I rather suspect that whole roadworks/traffic light phasing is nothing more than an urban legend.
You suspect wrongly: it's a matter of public record:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...has-brought-congestion-to-capital-644850.html

TfL was eventually forced to admit that what they'd done. It was, of course, all done for the noble reason of protecting pedestrians and it was simply coincidence that Ken's entirely genuine concerns arose only shortly before introducing the congestion tax.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Let's see a slightly more reliable quote than the independent. According to TfL some traffic light changes were made to benefit pedestrians and buses, unsurprisingly some of the biggest and busiest junctions for pedestrians were affected. It's a bit of a stretch suggesting that was for the CC.

I'm quite happy for the congestion charge to go, by the way. I couldn't care less when the traffic is snarled up again, I'm on a bike.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
BentMikey said:
Let's see a slightly more reliable quote than the independent.
:evil:

If you actually read the story, you'll see that TfL admitted it (just with some concern about pedestrian safety that, entirely coincidentally, it developed only just prior to the congestion tax being introduced.

Top Bottom