A plumbing/radiator question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I want to have 2 radiators replaced with different sized/shaped ones.
As the valves will be going, do I have to empty the system?
Someone told me there is a switch gizmo on the boiler to enable that but it doesnt seem possible to me
BTW one of the rads is ground floor, furthest from the boiler. Surely gravity will force the system to empty ?

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes you will have to drain the system, the only time you may get away with not is if the replacement radiator is exactly the same size as the one coming out & the valves are being retained. There is also an option to use an ice/freeze kit which you put on a pipe either side of where you are working, freeze the water in the pipe then work on the bit you're doing. I personally have never had much success with them, but then again it was a Wickes/B&Q kit & not a professional one.

U

User6179

Shut off the other radiators and just drain the pipes retaining the water in the rads that are being kept.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes you will have to drain the system, the only time you may get away with not is if the replacement radiator is exactly the same size as the one coming out & the valves are being retained. There is also an option to use an ice/freeze kit which you put on a pipe either side of where you are working, freeze the water in the pipe then work on the bit you're doing. I personally have never had much success with them, but then again it was a Wickes/B&Q kit & not a professional one.
Thanks.
All that makes sense.
TBH I think one of the valves is knackered so it has to go.
Never heard of the freezing option. I think I would be too scared to try that.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Shut off the other radiators and just drain the pipes retaining the water in the rads that are being kept.
Thanks
One of the rads is upstairs, nearest to the boiler.
The other one is downstairs, furthest from the boiler.
Will your idea still be feasible ?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes replace all the water adding Fernox to prevent oxidation and hydrogen build up inside the steel radiators.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above, use this full drain to replace dirty water and add new treatment.

Top Bottom