A Possible T5/T6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay, it's more of a 'we're having look/thinking about it'

As SWMBO's (Toyota) C-HR is due for return at the end of next month, I've suggested a T5 as a replacement for it, & my Octavia
(she'd been looking at camper vans anyway!!!)

Driving up to Thirsk this morning, I was pointing them out, & daughter backed me up, concerning my looking at them/considering one for quite a while

She seems quite taken with the idea (which surprises me slightly!), so it ended up, when we were on our way home, calling at JCT600 - Vans at York
(as we had to call in the city anyway)

There wasn't many in, but a nice SWB/5-seater/2.0 Tdi (or 2.5Tdi)/manual/steel-wheeled, would suit me
The 'Bronze' they offered would be nice too

Questions
If anyone can answer them?

. IF we look at 9-seaters, does the rearmost/3rd set remove for a larger luggage space? (they looked to be on 'runners'
2. Does the 2nd row slide back, in a 5-seater, to allow more leg-room?
3. I'm not a fan of automatics, but is it worth testing a DSG boxed model?
(9years with a manual Octavia Tdi, may have coloured that judgement, even allowing for the XKR we owned)
4. 2.0Tdi, or a bigger engine? (doubt it'll be used for towing, but who knows?)

I may have more questions

I realise, of course, that it won't be anywhere near as economical as my Octavia (I get mardy, if I get less than 60MPG average, when I refuel)
Nor will the insurance be as little as the £214 I've just paid for F/C for my renewal

I’ve no history of ownership of a T5, but have driven one a few times. The auto box is quite nice to drive, with smooth changes, an a decent improvement when is ‘S’, and on manual operation.
I have heard many experiences of issues with them, but there are so many around I guess that’s to be expected?

Two work-collegues have T4's
One has a 1.9Tdi van, & he tells me is still going well at 450,000miles!

The other has a 'combi' (5-seater)

A neighbour has a T5 on an '05' plate (owned from new) 'T30', 9-seater, LWB
That's a cracking machine!!
I've always looked at it with envy, a nice ride too, even in 'row 3'

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
We had a 2016 2.0 140bhp TDi which I bought as a panel van and converted to a full on pop top camper. The only time I wanted a little more ooomph was when fully laden going up long hills and having to drop from 6th to 5th. I'm told the 180BHP lump helps with that, but at the time was not a reliable lump. FWIW we averaged about 30mpg.

Broadside

Guru
Questions
If anyone can answer them?

. IF we look at 9-seaters, does the rearmost/3rd set remove for a larger luggage space? (they looked to be on 'runners'
2. Does the 2nd row slide back, in a 5-seater, to allow more leg-room?
3. I'm not a fan of automatics, but is it worth testing a DSG boxed model?
(9years with a manual Octavia Tdi, may have coloured that judgement, even allowing for the XKR we owned)
4. 2.0Tdi, or a bigger engine? (doubt it'll be used for towing, but who knows?)
The array of options with Transporters is mind boggling from a panel van (front seats only) to Kombi (with second row) to Shuttle (with third row) and up to the Caravelle (three rows but much higher spec)

1. The second and third rows of seats are quickly removable on all of them, but the third row bench seat is very heavy at about 60kg. It removes very easily however with a second pair of hands and literally clips in and out in 1 minute. It also folds flat forward which vastly increases load space without having to remove the seat.

2. second and third row seats are fixed in position but in a Caravelle there are full length rails so you can put the seats anywhere and can even turn them around if you want.

3. I was nervous of the dsg so went manual, sometimes wish I hadn’t.

4. they are all 2.0 tdi but with varying outputs. The middle option around 140/150 is what I did. Beware of an EGR cooler issue on some of the 140 or 180 engines. The cooler corrodes which releases aluminium oxide which then abrades the engine cylinders and kills the engine. They are marked on the EGR cooler body, if you buy one ensure it is Rev D or later.

My biggest regret of buying a T6 was not buying one years ago. The versatility is astounding.

Last edited:

aferris2

Guru
We had a 2012 T5 campervan in Australia. This was the LWB with 132 KW 2 litre diesel engine with DSG auto transmaiision. Absolutely fantastic! Even with all the extra weight of the pop top and internal furniture, plus all our kit and 60 litres of water on board we were averaging around 6 lit/100 km (just shy of 40 MPG). Overall we did just over 40,000 km in the year that we had the van. Don't think we ever had our foot flat to the floor even when climbing into the mountains until we were demonstrating the performance when selling it. Never used the Sport setting (it's a van, not a sports car)
We chose to have it serviced by VW main dealers. More expensive than an independant, but not too bad overall. Timing belt and DSG service are the expensive jobs to watch out for.
The only silly fault, was that you can't get the spare wheel out from underneath when you have a flat rear tyre until you have jacked it up.

(Currently looking for another one to go camping around the UK and maybe Europe when it's safe to do so)

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I've got a 2010 Caravelle, 140hp 2.0L diesel with 265k miles on it. Bought it about end of 2017 with 215K on the clock replacing a Fiesta ST180.
I use it as my daily driver, the seating arrangement in the Caravelle is very flexible. It allows 7 to travel in comfort with some luggage space, or you can relatively easily remove the centre pair of seats and carry two road bikes inside (remove front wheels and I have mounts which lock into the floor rails), another 2/3 on the rear carrier and carry 4/5 people.
I also use it as a basic camper when at motorsport events. The rear bench folds fairly flat, and the middle pair extend the bed for your feet, or if solo I've taken one middle seat out to give a bit more storage inside. If away for more than a couple of nights, I have a SheltaPod awning/tent that is either for sleeping or storage depending upon the weather. I usually cook outside, or use circuit facilities, so no problem not having a kitchen and use site toilet/shower facilities.
I've used it for lugging all sorts of stuff around, including getting a 3-piece suite and some other stuff inside to go to the tip. That was done without removing the rear bench.
The Caravelle spec is quite civilised. Good seats, air-con, better headlights, better sound deadening/insulation, rear tailgate rather than barn doors. Fuel consumption for me is low-30mpg, but on a longer run can be high-30's. Power output is adequate, I could be tempted by a remap towards 170hp, but no point on this one due to its age. I had to replace the clutch and DMF at 240k miles as the slave cylinder was leaking and the cambelt was done at the same time, cost me about £1600.
I'd happily buy another Caravelle, indeed we were talking about that at the weekend. Probably a T6 with the 150hp engine, either manual or DSG, then getting a pop-top to give more space when camping. This would be useful not only for space, but would allow SWMBO to stay in bed when I have to get up early to start my duties early at events. Another improvement would be a SlidePod kitchen pod which can extend the rear bench to a bed and run without the middle seats.
Another option would be a VW California Beach, which is a factory day camper.

Pah! The title is very misleading. I saw it and got excited thinking it was a Volvo thread.
Sorry, it could be rather ambiguous
Then again, being as pedantic as I am, would I not have placed such questions in the Volvo thread?

@Scottish Scrutineer
Thanks

I have a list of questions to phone the dealers with
However, given that there's only 3 around here; York Sheffield & Hull
We may have a drive down to Sheffield tomorrow?

Broadside

Guru
It will be worth the trip, you can read all you like but you will pick up a lot more when you look inside them for real.

You will need to prepare yourself for the fuel economy performance, ours averages 33mpg overall. Some people manage to get high 30’s but others report never getting above high 20’s, they do seem to be a bit inconsistent. One thing that definitely hinders economy is the brick shaped front end!

aferris2

Guru
You can't do anything about the brick shaped front, but you can temper the speed. We got around 40 MPG cruising at 56 mph. Push the speed up to 60 mph and economy goes down to the mid 30's. Even worse if you do 70 mph (or more...). Biggest killer is hard acceleration though.

Daughter & I drove to Sheffield this AM, to have a look at what they had
Despite 4 sales-people inside, not one came out to see if they could help (or could be really bothered to look up from phone/PC)
We saw one that suited, barring it being an automatic

So, as a counterpoint, we went over to the M-B commercials agent
We had a better experience, looking at the Vito
The salesman could talk to us about it, & suggested models

Top Bottom