A Possible T5/T6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Have you had a look at the VW Van centre at Birstall Smithies, Batley, and there’s also the main dealer at Chain Bar, Cleckheaton, just off junction 26 M62, personally I think the Transit Custom is a better van

Broadside

Guru
I have heard that Transits spend a lot of time in the garage being repaired as there are reliability issues. I might be wrong but I think they are the most widely stolen of all vans in that size category with them being broken up for parts presumably to keep other vans on the road.

steven1988

Veteran
I bought a vauxhall vivaro 1.6 biturbo crewcab in February this year and must say its a quality van. 40 odd to the gallon and enough space for 6 and all required riding stuff in the back

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I have a 64 plate Transporter and a 15 plate Caravelle both bought new, before those we had a 1998 Multivan from 3 years old until 15 years old. In that time apart from service items i only replaced one relay and a couple of central locking solenoids. After 12 years I sold it for £2200 less than I bought it for. This is one of the benefits of a VW, people love them.
So far on the newer VWs, the van had a bluetooth problem that was sorted under warranty, it also developed a leak after a service from the oil filter housing which had cracked, but I said to the service manager 'Well you're the only ones to have touched it!' and they fixed it.
The Caravelle had to have a new EGR valve at just over 3 years old (just out of warranty) and although VW would have fitted a new one at a reduced price I bought a genuine spare for about a third of VW price and a mate fitted it. We (my mate & I) are convinced that it was because my wife would always change up a gear when the dashboard display told her to instead of going by engine sound. She doesn't do that anymore!
If you want more Ooomph remapping costs about £300. My van is 102HP and the Caravelle is 140. The van is used mainly for work and 102 is fine, the only thing I miss on a long journey is the 6th gear that the Caravelle has.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I bought a vauxhall vivaro 1.6 biturbo crewcab in February this year and must say its a quality van. 40 odd to the gallon and enough space for 6 and all required riding stuff in the back
My mate (the one who did my EGR) maintains and services several Vivaros. He said to me the other week that although the drivers treat them terribly he generally only has to do the standard servicing. He owns a T5 and said if he were to buy again he'd consider a Vivaro.

DRM

Guru
Bear in mind you’re picking the worst time to buy a used van, my old Proace was seen for sale on Autotrader for £9995 +vat, 18 months ago it would have been £6300 +vat with 98,000 very unreliable miles, on the other hand the Transit Connect that is tiding me over has been bombproof at nearly 116,000 miles

The Rover

Guru
I own a 2012 T5, which I bought as a panel van a few years ago and converted to a day van.

The reason I post is to give details of the place I bought it from, at the time they took the part ex’s from a VW commercial dealership which only sold vans up to two years old. The dealership kindly gave me the company details, I’d definitely recommend them but would advise to call them as some of the vans don’t get into the website due to demand. He had a good idea of what vans were coming his way for the next month or so.

They are based in Stockport so possibly not too far from you.
https://www.southfieldcommercials.co.uk/search_page.php?location_id=2

Cheers Stuart.

As a counterpoint. someone at work suggested a Tourneo Connect

I've just 'configured' one, & the difference in price is substantial
Yes, I know it's smaller than a Vito

I might just have to have a look out of curiosity

Faratid

Some of us come here to chat about cycling. You know, 'cycle chat'.
Instead we seem to have a forum for motor enthusiasts, people with health issues, housing problems, relationship difficulties and political ignorance.
I visit the helicopter pilots forum most days, but have never seen any posts about the above, or indeed about cycling.

DRM

Guru
As a counterpoint. someone at work suggested a Tourneo Connect

I've just 'configured' one, & the difference in price is substantial
Yes, I know it's smaller than a Vito

I might just have to have a look out of curiosity
The Tourneo Grand Connect is a bargain for what your getting, 7 seats, all the whistles and bells for about £28,000 brand new, my Connect van has, as of getting home this evening done just short of 116,000, in 5 years, it runs as sweet as a nut, went for the service/mot at the beginning of the month, no advisories, service done, come and pick it up, the ProAce however was the exact opposite, take it in for a service and you don't see it for at least a week while they put all the faults right, sadly, according to the mechanic I spoke to last time it was in, the facelift models still have the same faults, as do the Peugeot/Citroen, and I'm guessing now the Vauxhall versions, the clutches are weak (mine was just about ready for a third), drive shafts break, various electrical gremlins, brakes that suck air in and constantly feel spongy, and there was a part at the back of the engine that leaks oil, the sliding doors fell off their runners, they look the part, but are utter rubbish.

DRM

Guru
My mate (the one who did my EGR) maintains and services several Vivaros. He said to me the other week that although the drivers treat them terribly he generally only has to do the standard servicing. He owns a T5 and said if he were to buy again he'd consider a Vivaro.
For gods sake, your sanity and financial well being stay away from the new Citroen/Peugeot PSA built Vauxhall's

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Some of us come here to chat about cycling. You know, 'cycle chat'.
Instead we seem to have a forum for motor enthusiasts, people with health issues, housing problems, relationship difficulties and political ignorance.
I visit the helicopter pilots forum most days, but have never seen any posts about the above, or indeed about cycling.
It’s brilliant isn’t it? A nice broad church showing that it is not all about bikes.

Yes the rear seats remove but a 9 seater is a long bus indeed.....

DSG all the way, once you've had one you'll never go back

And re the 2.0 engine size it will easily manage with a loaded van and towing a decent load so i don't see an issue there unless you really want some higher performance.

Re the Tourneo we saw 2 Nuggets recently and have to say they looked really nice and well finished, loved the orange/fire colour scheme they come in.

Yes the rear seats remove but a 9 seater is a long bus indeed.....

DSG all the way, once you've had one you'll never go back

And re the 2.0 engine size it will easily manage with a loaded van and towing a decent load so i don't see an issue there unless you really want some higher performance.

Re the Tourneo we saw 2 Nuggets recently and have to say they looked really nice and well finished, loved the orange/fire colour scheme they come in.

9 seats is too many!!
I've had an 11-seater in the past (Defender 110CSW)

DSG...
Daughters M-B Aclass is 'flappies'
I'll freely admit I've not tried it, but based on old auto's I've driven, I'm not keen
Even the XKR we had, with the 5-speed auto, wasn't that great!!
The 'lag', whilst they decide what gear to use bugs me (okay; 'flappies'may be better, but the 'anti' feeling runs deep)

Orange Tourneo
I've seen that colour too, & like it
But... it costs extra, & may make it awkward to sell, when the time comes??
I think it'll be the solid blue
IF we do buy one

(I'm not bothered about alloy wheels either)
Web017.jpg

Top Bottom