A Possible T5/T6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
DSG is hard not to like and they are MUCH MUCH faster than we can change gear manually, certainly no lag on mine at least.

Sorry i mixed up the Tourneo with the Transit, this is a Transit Nugget:

They do a high top as well

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
9 seats is too many!!

DSG...
Daughters M-B Aclass is 'flappies'
I'll freely admit I've not tried it, but based on old auto's I've driven, I'm not keen
Even the XKR we had, with the 5-speed auto, wasn't that great!!
The 'lag', whilst they decide what gear to use bugs me (okay; 'flappies'may be better, but the 'anti' feeling runs deep)

Orange Tourneo
9 seats are too many, unless you have a D1 driving license in UK

VW's DSG 'boxes are pretty good, far removed from the old torque converter autos. I think they're 6 or 7 speed and shifts are pretty seamless.

As for the Transit: Who came up with the model name "Nugget"? :laugh:
I'd also consider that as camper vans and Transits are both in high risk categories for theft, it probably wouldn't remain in your possession for long in UK :sad:. I'd expect a T6 to retain better value as well

potsy

Rambler
I love the idea of T6 camper van and have been looking into the possibility of getting one next year, the cost is prohibitive but would replace my current vehicle and become my main transport.

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, will see when I'm a bit closer to doing it.

aferris2

Guru
DSG...
Daughters M-B Aclass is 'flappies'
I'll freely admit I've not tried it, but based on old auto's I've driven, I'm not keen
I would say to give DSG a go - take a demo van out for a drive. I have always had manual cars, but I have driven a few autos, albeit quite a few years ago for various business trips.
The DSG box in the T5 is a completely different beast to the old auto boxes. There's very little (if any) lag in selecting the correct gear. You can see the gear numbers going down as you slow up for junctions etc. so it's already in the right gear to get going again. There weren't any flappy paddles in our van (not sure if it's an option) but if you really do want to play with the gears then you can do this via the gear lever.
Until I tried DSG I wasn't a fan of auto boxes. Now I wouldn't have anything else (until something better comes out) - just got to find a good T5/T6 LWB with DSG...

D

Deleted member 26715

DSG & Slushboxes are two different animals completely.

Broadside

Guru
I may misunderstand but the 9 seat Transit includes the driver, so a Category ‘B’ licence (after 1997) is sufficient to drive a 9 seater, surely?
Anyone can drive a van with 9 seats, technically it’s the driver plus 8 passengers. With a VW Transporter Shuttle/Caravelle they are classified as an M1 vehicle, basically an MPV people carrier subject to car speed limits. All other Transporters are classified as N1 commercial vehicles subject to lower speed limits.

The 9 seaters though are really long buses... seem it to me anyway. The camper versions are based on the standard wheel base although some DIY conversions do use the long bus base.

Broadside

Guru
The 9 seaters though are really long buses... seem it to me anyway. The camper versions are based on the standard wheel base although some DIY conversions do use the long bus base.
You can get the 9 seater in short wheelbase and long wheel base versions, the SWB just has less boot space. The SWB will fit in a standard supermarket car park space, you’re right the LWB is long so the nose sticks out of a standard parking space but they are not tricky to drive and park.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
You can get the 9 seater in short wheelbase and long wheel base versions, the SWB just has less boot space. The SWB will fit in a standard supermarket car park space, you’re right the LWB is long so the nose sticks out of a standard parking space but they are not tricky to drive and park.
SWB is 4.9m, the LWB is 5.3m, so the LWB is similar length to a double-cab pickup.

PS just saw a Marco Polo this afternoon, it looked very nice indeed. We do see a few on campsites but i have really looked that closely at them so far. It had an onboard fresh water tank, i guess quite small, but not sure about grey water ? But well finished as you'd expect from Merc.

"STOP THE PRESS!"

After some prevarication over the M-B Vito, & the Ford Tourneo Connect (Zetec trim), SWMBO gently suggested she didn't want a van

However...
We have been to look at a Tourneo earlier this evening
I quite liked it (& it was the automatic she wanted)
https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/FORD/TOURNEO CONNECT/SM69CFX

Then we had a look elsewhere, & saw something else...............^_^
We haven't test-driven it, but 'things have been arranged', & it ought to be delivered on (may) Tuesday, or Wednesday?

steven1988

Veteran
"STOP THE PRESS!"

After some prevarication over the M-B Vito, & the Ford Tourneo Connect (Zetec trim), SWMBO gently suggested she didn't want a van

However...
We have been to look at a Tourneo earlier this evening
I quite liked it (& it was the automatic she wanted)
https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/FORD/TOURNEO CONNECT/SM69CFX

Then we had a look elsewhere, & saw something else...............^_^
We haven't test-driven it, but 'things have been arranged', & it ought to be delivered on (may) Tuesday, or Wednesday?

Go on then spill what did you end up with?

Top Bottom