A question about Fried Potatoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm currently frying potatoes to feed my three boys, who can eat about as much as a Mongol Horde in one sitting. Unfortunately I only have one frying pan and it'll take the contents o at least 2 to feed them all.

I am not a natural cook.

If I fry some sliced tatties until reasonably brown and them put them in a hot oven inside a casserole dish, that'll help them cook through, right?

And if I drop the onion slices in the casserole dish, that'll soften them without turning them in to brown string.

Or am I missing something here?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would just put them in a hot oven whilst you cook the others.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Fried pots are ideally sliced, boiled spuds when you've cooked too many the night before.
Had this tonight.......with sliced chicken and mushrooms.....loads of brown sauce. Very yummy

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Raw sliced potato takes a surprisingly long time to fry, and it's easy to end up with brown outside and raw inside.

The classic method is to par-boil the spud first - plunge the slices into fast boiling water for a minute or two.

Doing that you could get a mini production line going to make your three pan loads.

You may know, but boiling water and hot oil don't mix so you would need to quickly drain the par-boiled spuds.

They may still spit a bit, but then so do I and it's never done me any harm.

Top Bottom