A question about Fried Potatoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the end I sliced and fried them until browned (I don't have much success with parboiling or steaming: they go mushy on me) I dropped the onions in and stirred them up a bit or five minutes, then dropped the lot in a casserole dish placed it in the oven at high heat and got on with browning batch two.

When this was in the oven I left it for 20 minutes and then served. It worked pretty well: the onions were softened and a bit brown and the tatties were brown, cooked through and and crispy but not too dry,

If things go on like this I'll be accused of cookery...

tamiya

Type of potato also affects cooking & outcome :hello: powdery dry type better for mashing & fries, vs harder waxy variants better for baking & cottage fries.

Parboiling them halfway converts starch into sugar, they brown faster. (Or if you don't want a pot of boiling water next to your frying oil, microwave works too.)

Type of oil also affects how fast they brown - our kitchen keeps 3-5 different oils. Chips I fry in canola usually but recently tried ricebran oil & it took forever to brown. For panbaking "cottage fries" I use peanut oil with a fraction of butter for flavour.

Cookery is good, I get to make things *i* wanna eat :becool:

You want fancy? Chips are best "double fried"... pre fry then until lightly brown, then put them aside until required. Then back into hot oil, 3-5mins to brown them off.

Cut the spuds into wedges. Par boil, drain and let the excess water drain for a minute or two. Spoon into a baking tray of hot oil, maintain the sizzle with a bit of heat. Add some salt/pepper/herbs as required. Put into hot oven (200-220) and cook until cooked. Less work than frying and IMHO, better results. I prefer skins on but you can peel.
The are not quite roast potatoes but almost. Without boiling they take about 40-50 mins.
You can turn them after 20 mins.

Onions prefer slower, lower temp cooking so you can do some at the bottom of the oven.

Fried_tatties.jpg.JPG

Ta-Daaaa...

Thanks for the suggestions. I tend to prefer tatties to pasta because I bulk out like a balloon with pasta, so I'll be trying some of them out, but I think this works.

I'll probably add carrots next time.

By the way, we know these as 'pan-Haggarty(panhagattie' (?) has anyone else heard of the name?

We need a vinegar bottle.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
View attachment 430561

Ta-Daaaa...

Thanks for the suggestions. I tend to prefer tatties to pasta because I bulk out like a balloon with pasta, so I'll be trying some of them out, but I think this works.

I'll probably add carrots next time.

By the way, we know these as 'pan-Haggarty(panhagattie' (?) has anyone else heard of the name?

We need a vinegar bottle.
A Northumberland classic!!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/northumberland-pan-haggerty-recipe-435687

Top Bottom