A question for the experts about a rear wheel build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oldcarltonfan

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Thanks for the extra input,

I hadn't thought about the spoke tension; I'll check the one serviceable Mavic I have left to get an idea.

I had thought of 36 for the rear, but I've been running my other bike on a 32 spoke rear for many thousands of miles with no snags, so I'll probably stick to 32.

Of course, I'm going to lose weight this season...........

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
To be fair, I haven't had any problems with the 28/28 wheelset I built for my singlespeed using very cheap rims and I'm just over 80kg. However, that has a dishless rear wheel (Tullio would turn in his grave, but I respaced a Nuovo Record hub for s/s and lost all the dish) and it never carries any luggage.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I had thought of 36 for the rear, but I've been running my other bike on a 32 spoke rear for many thousands of miles with no snags, so I'll probably stick to 32

I've built many many wheels with the Archetype rims for myself and other people and I'm sure you don't need 36 spokes, although, 36 spokes would make it a stronger wheel.

I've ridden my 32 spokes Archetype rear wheel for many thousands of miles and I wish I was 87kg :tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Archetypes here and 95kg. Not a spoke broken yet over Audax and Heavy touring duties...
Work well with 25 and 28c tyres too.

D42FB29D-EB18-4765-B1DE-8E54ED324984.jpeg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I never had a problem with broken spokes, even when I was 110+ kg (and some of my wheels only had 20-24 spokes.) I can't see that 87 kg is a wheel-killing weight!

The only spoke that I ever broke was on a used wheel from a mate who had damaged it by getting his rear mech and chain tangled up with the wheel.

Top Bottom