A question for you engineers/stonemasons or general DIY folk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
EDIT***
I am (thinking) of having some speaker stands made out of marble...........to match the new fire-place.
The base plate will be 20mm thick.
I want to mount the stands on 'spikes'. These spikes have 6mm** threaded male sections to insert them..........as this link.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Speak...ion-M6-thread-31mm-black-plated-/261977970572
The people who can make the stands do not think you can tap a thread into marble...............drilling is not a problem-its just the threading (they think it will crumble). I thought you could but don't know.
So my questions are..................
Does any-one KNOW if it will work OK ?
or........
What if they simply drill **8mm holes and resin a 6mm hex nut over it ?
Before people ask the obvious................
The speakers are old and I cannot get good ready made stands to suit.........without paying a kings ransom.
*** the guy is going to give me a piece so I can get a local fab' shop to experiment.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Plan "B" sounds better, but use threaded tube would be better, but you will have to go out to 10mm plus

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I would not expect threading into rock will work, at least not in a small size like 6mm; certainly in caving we never do this. Admittedly, dangling over a 100m drop is a bit more critical than merely standing speakers on !

Have a look for "threaded inserts" and find some that can be araldited in.

All that said, I might question marble speaker stands. Might be worth doing some googling of hi-fi fora, even though there's a lot of bollocks talked on some of them.

Can't you get some generic metal framed speaker stands that would do ? I'm assuming marble blocks will cost you a couple of hundred, so it's not as if you're doing it for 50 pence.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why not just resin the spikes directly into marble - do they need to be removable?
The idea with spikes is (I think) to be finely adjustable.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is real genuine marble (as against the marble/resin types).
Why do you say "not a chance" ??
Cutting a thread in stone. The marble isn't exactly soft, nor the thread coarse.

What about a plan c. have them drill the holes, araldite the inside. Have a greased peg put in place in the holes whilst drying, then tap that. Small bolts could even be used saving on cutting a thread.

Top Bottom