A question for you engineers/stonemasons or general DIY folk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cutting a thread in stone. The marble isn't exactly soft, nor the thread coarse.

What about a plan c. have them drill the holes, araldite the inside. Have a greased peg put in place in the holes whilst drying, then tap that. Small bolts could even be used saving on cutting a thread.
That also sounds possible................not for me of course but the local fab' shop.
Thanks

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You could always get marble speakers...

gallery18.png

TVC

That's the correct solution. In a previous life I worked for a company where we made our own epoxy-granite instrument beds. We would cast the inserts in, but if any became damaged they would be drilled out and a new one secured using two part epoxy adhesive (Araldite).

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

TVC

Again showing my ignorance......why are they better than glueing some threaded tube in ?
Can I buy them from e.g. Screwfix ?
Basically they are threaded tubes, what Raleighnut and I are saying is these are the off the shelf parts to save you making them.

Quick look on Screwfix, these'll do, grab some Araldite 2012 15min epoxy and the jobs a good un.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nuts-type-d-m6-x-13mm-50-pack/59937?kpid=59937&cm_mmc=Google:tired:Product Listing Ads:tired:Sales Tracking:tired:sales tracking url&cm_mmc=Google:tired:Shopping - Screws, Nails and Fixings:tired:Shopping - Screws, Nails and Fixings&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4J-6BRD3h_KIoqijwvkBEiQAfcPiBek5zZonC5eZ2rmIxMZ5xwE70Sgv96fXXp50EgnDutAaAvuR8P8HAQ

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Basically they are threaded tubes, what Raleighnut and I are saying is these are the off the shelf parts yo save you making them.

Quick look on Screefix, these'll do, grab some Araldite 2012 15min epoxy and the jobs a good un.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nuts-type-d-m6-x-13mm-50-pack/59937?kpid=59937&cm_mmc=Google:tired:Product Listing Ads:tired:Sales Tracking:tired:sales tracking url&cm_mmc=Google:tired:Shopping - Screws, Nails and Fixings:tired:Shopping - Screws, Nails and Fixings&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4J-6BRD3h_KIoqijwvkBEiQAfcPiBek5zZonC5eZ2rmIxMZ5xwE70Sgv96fXXp50EgnDutAaAvuR8P8HAQ
Many thanks.
Is that price correct.... £2.35 EACH????

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think that's for 50 !
I think that's for 50 !

I guess you'll not want 200 of 'em if you order 4

Reminds me of a mate's story from years ago when he worked for BT. He needed some plastic conduit for some project or other, so ordered 3m. Chap arrives with it saying "where do you want it?", "stick it under my desk", says my mate. "ho ho ho, very funny"...
Turned out he'd not ordered 3m or whatever it was, but 3 "lots" of 100 units of 10m lengths. There were two lorry loads of the stuff outside.

Even better was ordering 500m of 5 way cable. Took ages to deliver, and when it eventually arrived, they had 5m of specially manufactured 500 way cable

Top Bottom