A Question for You Malt Whisky Connoisseurs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@Dave7. don't go for a Lagavulin under any circumstances, it is IMO the most sublime thing a human being can put in their mouth & my serious dying wish is for my ashes to to be sprinkled in the waters above the distillery so a little bit of me may begin eternity in the vats, but it is the archetypal Peaty Islay whisky, Very strong and powerful, not as germoline medicinal as Laphroaig but even more astringent and redolent of peat and fire and smoke that the others from Islay.

Talisker, as Oban, Clynelich, Jura etc are more maritime ones like Highland Park, firm and a tang of brine/heather though not with the knock your socks off Islay smoke kick.

others that are coming to mind, Craggenmore & The Glenlivet - Both are Speysides or possibly Glenkinchie (a lowland whisky - rurally situated near Edinburgh) all nice quality, smooth and to my taste gentle whiskys, I think you may enjoy them too.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Cardhu is amazing!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
just one more thing, then I'll shut up. When you say cost isn't an issue, then mention a ~£30 bottle. You are aware that £30 is low end for a single malt and prices can get very dear very quickly (think the price of a top end Pinarello or a good second hand car and up) for the very special editions and much rarer bottlings. Lots in the supermarkets are in the £40-50 bracket now, several already mentioned in this thread.

£70-100+ for a standard name whisky and 'routine' out of the ordinary bottle is not at all unusual and its exponential up from there for the real special ones.

Just one to be mindful of & without me knowing the significance of occasion or spending power of the person making the offer, what an upper limit may actually be.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some good suggestions there.................thanks to all.
When I say cost is not an issue............the guy buying it (my son) is not minted so I couldn't bring myself to suggest paying more than say £40.00ish ........dont know if that discounts the suggestions made.
There is a decent off licence 5 miles away so will write your suggestions down and pay a visit with minatures in mind.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Some very good options all ready mentioned.

For me a 15 or 18 year old Glenfiddich suffices for most occasions. Jura is also pretty good and you can get a honeyed version for added sweetness.

There is also an up and coming English whisky from the St George's Distillery. They do unpeated which is quite sweet and light and very drinkable.

If money really were no object a Glenfiddich 40 year old - absolutely sublime. It was about £2, 500 a bottle last time I checked......
Maybe one for when I win the lottery.

fossala

Guru
The Bolvine Doublewood is my preference but if you like a sweet tipple go for their Caribbean cask. Both are priced below their taste.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
As a real oddball alternative you could try going further afield. The suntory yamazaki is superb, and the blended hibiki also gets good reviews although I've never tried it personally.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Of my previous suggestions, with your son buying, I'd recommend Cardhu first, then the Glenlivet & Craggenmore all in the right cost ballpark as well. Bladnoch will be out on monetary grounds.

Maybe you could consider asking for a tasting set, a variety of miniatures and some expert notes on each of them, then you would have a few more in the bag for future birthdays and events. My family love me being a whisky drinker, birthday and Christmas are a doddle for them.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Of my previous suggestions, with your son buying, I'd recommend Cardhu first, then the Glenlivet & Craggenmore all in the right cost ballpark as well. Bladnoch will be out on monetary grounds.

Maybe you could consider asking for a tasting set, a variety of miniatures and some expert notes on each of them, then you would have a few more in the bag for future birthdays and events. My family love me being a whisky drinker, birthday and Christmas are a doddle for them.

Sorry..........what did you say your address was??? and when would it be convenient for me to call round??
If all you family buy you whisky it should be a good evening. No need to put me up.......I will ask my OH to collect me :smile:

Top Bottom