A Question for You Malt Whisky Connoisseurs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
For around £40 I would suggest
Balvenie Caribbean cask (for the last part of Maturation they use casks that used to hold rum. Gives it a pleasant fruity taste.
Glenfarclas 15 year old is a wonderful Speyside matured in sherry casks, giving a heavenly sweet sherry flavour to the whisky.
Glendronach 15 year is also a Speyside sherry cask whisky but the sherry influence isn't as prominent on the palette as the Glenfarclas.
Glenmorangie quinta ruban has been part matured in port pipes and is sweet and fruity.
Jura 16 year is one of the 'Island' whiskies a well balanced whisky, not to sweet, and has a nice spice warmth.
Moving away from the sweet but still not peaty I would suggest Old Pulteney Navigator. Has a briney salty hint to it (the distillery is on the coast) which makes for a wonderful dram.
Highland Park 12 year is a well balanced whisky, with a smokey hint on the pallete.
For something different I would go for a Japanese whisky, Nikka 'Whisky from the Barrel' a 50cl bottle for around the £40 mark. Not a single malt but a blended whisky. But what a whisky, it blows loads of single malts out of the water. Sweet and spicy this is often in my whisky cabinet.
Bourbon? There are some fantastic bourbons out there.
Four Roses Single Barrel is one of my favourites, neat or on the rocks.
Eagle Rare 10 year old Single Barrel is another.
Hope that helps.

A good Speyside malt is an excellent starting point.

(You may finish there too - after some of the knock your socks off island malts)

pplpilot

Guru
Never found a single malt I really like, believe me over the years I've tried A LOT, I'm firmly in the blend camp, Blue label being my #1 at the moment.

andyfraser

Über Member
For what it's worth now, I'm a big fan of Glenfiddich. I have a very nice 15 year old Solera open at the moment.

I find myself leaning more towards a good cognac or dark rum at the moment though.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
So from this thread who would be up for a ride around some distilleries with a good tasting stop over at each?

Don't know how feasible this would be as I have never toured distilleries north of the border - distance wise.

Have been to the St George's Distillery in Norfolk and the Penderyn Distillery in Wales - actually that is another nice drop of whisky too

ayceejay

Guru
Of these two nations which would you trust on alcoholic beverages - Japan or Ireland?
Did you know that you can get a single malt Irish Whiskey?
Did you also know that there are some 'connoisseur' blends of bourbon (shriek) that will knock your socks off?

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'm enjoying a bottle of 12yo Glenlivet at the minute. If you like smoother whiskys, consider an Irish Whiskey such as Tullamore Dew or Bushmills which are very smooth

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Many fine suggestions made here, but given you've said your tastes run more toward the sweeter, I'd say it's no competition: Scapa.

Top Bottom