A Question for You Malt Whisky Connoisseurs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Talisker 10 year old. Just the right amount of "fieryness" without being overpowering.
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I've just had a bottle of Talisker Distillery Edition - Amoroso cask delivered by Tesco as a substitution for a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter Edition.

Oh my god it's good. A little sweeter than 10yo and not as smokey which is great as I'm more of a Speyside drinker

Best part is the bottle of Dalwhinnie was £39 down to £25 then my wife gets 10% as staff making it £22.50. The Talisker is usually £58 a bottle and I didn't pay a penny more. God bless substitution

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Any decent top end Speyside.

The Glenlivet Nadurra is getting a lot of airtime round ours.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Someone wants to buy me a "good" bottle of malt and has asked which one I want............cost must not be an issue.
I am thinking Glenmorangie but I've only ever had the original and know they do a good range

So...............I'm looking for ideas and some of my likes dislikes are.............

I do NOT enjoy peaty whisky's such as Laphroaig.
I like (what as would describe) as almost a sweet taste to it.......not sweet as in liqueur (hope that makes sense.
I like very smooth.
Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Glenrothes 1982, if money is seriously no object.

Failing that their Select Reserve has pleasant vanilla tones for a reasonable price. You can thank me later when I pop down for a nip. :okay:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
We just tried the Sainsburys 'Finest' highland malt. Very tasty and a steal at £20. Quite deep for a highland malt.
I'm enjoying a bottle of the same myself (not right now obvs ;) ) It took me a couple of glasses to make my mind up, it seemed a bit dusty and dry at first but the complexity grows and it is is a very good sippin' whisky at a tremendous price.

......wow, I'm a proper whiskey philistine compared to you guys. I do like a glass or three when the mood takes me, and always with ice given the climate here. Recent brands I tried have been Teachers, Claymore and Walton. All blends, and about a fiver a litre from Malaysian border duty-free shops. Quantity, not quality would be a fair way to describe one of these booze runs.

Single malt - well, I do occasionally splash out on a Jameson - very smooth. Sometimes I also try locally made stuff at the odd social gathering, out of politeness more than anything. It's crude as you like, and getting drunk on the cheap is the main aim.

Whiskey connoisseurs should best avoid Thailand altogether I think - unless they are very rich. You can get the really good stuff, but at silly prices due to taxation.............

postman

Legendary Member
I would like to mention on this old thread. An Irish whisky PADDY.It is a few years since i bought a bottle while on holiday.On sale in Sainsbugs.

First place in the 2015 Scottish Field Whisky Awards went to a single grain whisky (ie. not a malt) Woodwinters The Five, 39 yo, £150. Winner of the £40-£80 category was Glencadam 17yo triple cask port wood finish, £79.99. The under £40 award went to The Glenlivet Founders' Reserve, £36.

Top Bottom