A question of shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
I was musing the other day that I have been solidly riding & commuting on bike for 2yrs and most of the time I ride in shorts but then I noticed the other day that even when im not riding im still wearing shorts. Is it an age thing, am I a lazy sod or is it some rite of passage like reaching cycling nirvana.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It depends on whether they're tailored shorts or bib / cycle shorts, and if you're getting chucked out of the Groucho Club on a regular basis post-work. I'd consult @Markymark to be sure whether either would be socially acceptable in the smoke... In the bleak north I assume these things are widely tolerated, so long as you have some form of grease / oil / proof of hard graft streaked on one's ankles / knees / calves.

I actually admire any man who can get away with wearing shorts of any type in work on a hot day. Are you a postie and do you work on a red Pashley?

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Ah well you see I dont show off me cycle tan lines and keep the shorts a few inches above the knee dont cha know. Yep I even wear them at work in an engineering environment with me steelies on. I go from the tailored short for the man about town to the combat short for the edgy outdoor I mean business look to a baggy type of short for those moments in between. And I always try to avoid the socks up to the knees look especially with sandals. Im thinking a man can never have too many pairs.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I wear shorts whenever possible, which means basically from about April to October, with any luck. But then I do have lovely legs.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm lucky enough to be able to wear shorts at work. I've only actually worn trousers for one day this month.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Wearing jeans in this weather is a cruel and un-natural practice. I went to a funeral wearing a suit and tie earlier this week. It was less than ideal, comfort-wise.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Hallelujah I am not alone and not weird, well actually not sure about that last bit but we are brothers & sisters in shorts ^_^

Except I forgot to pack them in my rucksack this morning and Im wearing these strange long things which feel slightly odd :banghead:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was musing the other day that I have been solidly riding & commuting on bike for 2yrs and most of the time I ride in shorts but then I noticed the other day that even when im not riding im still wearing shorts. Is it an age thing, am I a lazy sod or is it some rite of passage like reaching cycling nirvana.

I'm an inveterate short wearer and at 53 being possessed as I am of a fine leg, I have no desire to change. Summer and winter.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
March to November is my aim. Sometimes in work I'll start off in trousers if it's cold.

In Devon the other week we attended a christening. I wore shorts , a short sleeved shirt and Birkenstocks.
My MiL looked at me ... "Hmmm, well at least you're coming'
Praise indeed!

Top Bottom