A question on political correctness.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Today in work we had one of the team building/culture days in work the Americans are so fond off and guest speakers and all the rest of it. There was also an element of charity work and one of the things we were expected to do was to design a Christmas card and the best designs would be selected, printed and sold for charity.

It was actually a lot of fun and I know I'm nowhere near a good enough artist to have my card selected anyway but I had drawn a snowman and as was common when I last drew Christmas cards when I was probably about 4 or 5, I put a pipe in the snowman's mouth. I then pondered the question of whether or not it acceptable to have a pipe-smoking snowman in this day and age or is it politically incorrect and potentially encouraging youngsters to smoke? The other thing of course is whether or not it's sexist to have a snowman and not a snowperson. One cannot be too careful these days days in case someone takes offence....

snorri

Legendary Member
Aye, it's a worry:sad:.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, we call it a snowman, but, truly, who can tell their sex?
I'm not sure a pipe smoking snow person is traditional, on googling pictures of snowmen, indeed only one picture shows one with a pipe.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I build snowladies with my daughter and I hope I will with my son. That's not political correctness, it's inclusivity. Anyway, don't worry about what's politically correct, that's a terribly negative way of thinking, try to consider what"s morally or ethically correct. Political correctness is morally dubious.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why are all snowmen portrayed as being fat(overweight). Snowladies on the other hand
4206709391_064871365d_b.jpg

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The Snowman has a scene where the snowman tries a pipe. Not having spoilers as we are going on about political correctness but also tries on various clothes and choir boys and befriending young boys! The 1980s animations beats you hands down! Also one of the most famous snowmen ever tries a pipe.

I am only joking, it is a good animation and nothing in it and nothing in your fun design either :smile:.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Snow? It's just a distant memory from before the climate change deniers said we still get winters.
Deniers? That's summink to do with stockings isn't it? Which are also summink to do with Christmas too, coincidentally.
Just back from the boozer, as it goes.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
. I then pondered the question of whether or not it acceptable to have a pipe-smoking snowman in this day and age or is it politically incorrect and potentially encouraging youngsters to smoke?
How many youngsters have smoked a pipe? Probably very few. Yes I know seeing someone smoking a pipe might make you try cigarettes,but it's a remote chance i'd say.

classic33

Leg End Member
How many pipe smokers do you see nowadays.

Last one I knew died a few years ago(Pipe smoker not snowman).

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I build snowladies with my daughter and I hope I will with my son. That's not political correctness, it's inclusivity. Anyway, don't worry about what's politically correct, that's a terribly negative way of thinking, try to consider what"s morally or ethically correct. Political correctness is morally dubious.
Why not build snowladies with your daughter and snowmen with your son? THAT'S inclusivity.

Top Bottom