A Radical Breakthrough in Porridge Development.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Some while ago I bought a carton of Soja and Rice drink which I believe is meant to serve as some sort of milk substitute. Anyway, it was lurking in the fridge and so I decided to try and make porridge with it. The result, despite the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg, was utterly bland, so I thought "Why not go savoury then?" and lobbed in a tablespoon or so of Crosse and Blackwell's chilli and jalapeno relish and a couple of tablespoons of mango chutney with chilli. The result is excellent but now I feel it needs some sort of meat and perhaps chopped onions and garlic. But what sort of meat? And should I then make patties out of the resultant mixture and fry or grill them? And how many Michelin stars should I get?

I'm going to write to the BBC now and demand you get your own series and £5million a year.

Will1985

Über Member
I had a similar thought yesterday - I always put a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg in, but I went for vanilla which was actually quite nice. But when I was eating it, I too wondered whether chili would be a good ingredient.

I don't see why it wouldn't work - in its basic form (water based), porridge is a bit like a staple you might find in Africa. Your ideas sound good Andy - I'd eat it!

longers

Legendary Member
A bit of chopped salami*? Perhaps some cheese on top? I like the idea of grilling them, maybe roll them in a bit of flour to stop them sticking while cooking.

I think you'd need a few tomatoes on the side to go with it.

*I've got some Reindeer salami in the fridge at the moment, makes a very nice pesto and reindeer pasta ;).

Danny

Legendary Member
I'd go for minced wild bore or venison - then you can bill the result as "wild game and oat rissoles".

Tharg2007

Veteran
have you tried maybe a Japanese twist to it and add raw tuna fish? you could also go all gourmet and add some chocolate too while your at it

Noodley

Tharg2007 said:
have you tried maybe a Japanese twist to it and add raw tuna fish? you could also go all gourmet and add some chocolate too while your at it

I thought I was in the Baked Beans thread, could not see Galaxy Caramel working with beans.

wafflycat

My hens have had porridge today.

Porridge oats
sweetcorn
sliced grapes
water

All zapped in the microwave until cooked.

On a cold, wet, snowy day like today, that'll give them the internal energy to stay warm all night

colly

Re member eR
Try it with smoked mackerel

I'd never thought of porridge with anything other than milk and a bit of sugar but I will be experimenting now I think.

Good idea.

I did try it with salt once xx(xx(:angry:.

Top Bottom