A real cyclist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rain drops

It is most amusing. I conclude I simply can't be seen as a 'real' road cyclist. This, despite the fact that I ride every day in the hills of the Yorkshire Dales, and Yorkshire Moors (bike on car to get there) since I'm long since retired and have not a day to waste.

I conclude this for two reasons. 1) I don't obsess over gearing and drive train status. If it works, I just get on with it. All I demand is that I have a one to one bottom gear for the steep climbs ( 34/34 or 34/36 on the Rosedale Chimney bike) and a high top gear for downs and tail winds. Couldn't care less how many cogs between the two. (Nine speed one bike, eleven speed the newer one.) 2) I don't bother with 'proper' road bike clothing. A semi-breathable jacket, woolly type jersey, ordinary well ventilated shorts with cheap pad beneath if a long day in saddle, and trainers over pinned flat pedals and Tesco bundle socks.

It is interesting what reaction I sometimes get when I grin at passing others, but I'm too far into my mind set to burst out laughing at the funny side of life. (Each poor player frets and struts his hour upon the stage etc.)

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The only real cyclists are the ones who cycle on real bikes, on real roads.

None of this sweating all over your living room carpet, while some stranger remotely shouts motivational slogans at you :whistle:

pawl

Legendary Member
This made me think about when I stated in the mid fifties Shorts were well just shorts worn with ordinary under pants Tops were tee shirts Carradice saddle bag Cape strapped on top.Inside a spare sweater and a Green Spot jacket
Winter either trackie bottoms or jeans

I will admit I do like clip less pedals Integrated gear an brake levers and the demise of cottered cranks.

I remember a few years ago I sat in a cafe opposite a family Got chatting about cycling when they said your a proper cyclist.The parents were riding hybrid bikes an d the kids on smaller bikes I said are you and the kids enjoying your cycling They loved it . I said in my opinion whatever type of bike you ride if you and the children enjoy themselves .As far as I’m concerned you are a cyclist.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The only real cyclists are the ones who cycle on real bikes, on real roads.

This is true. Wether you cycle for enjoyment or just for transport, don't let others' fixations with things make you think they are any more of a cyclist than you are. Life is not a competition. I could buy the most expensive bike and the most expensive clothing, but you'd probably still pass me on a hill, and out of the two of us you'd be the most happy!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Has @bonj been on at you?

Anyone can be a real cyclists.

How much time and money you invest doesn't come into it imo.

I spend a fair whack on bikes - unfortunately genetics and childhood asthma mean I'm never going to be fast or good on the hills ...

Doesn't stop my trying (or spending!!) Though.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Which only a real cyclist would know...

Perhaps it became more esoteric over time as fewer people cycled. But some of it isn't even cycling-specific: 'cog', for instance, is short for cog-wheel (examples found on bikes, in gearboxes, lathes, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom