A remedy for horrendous nightmares please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

I think - one person's very vivid dream may be another person's nightmare. Not trying to belittle the emotional stress which you are suffering, merely pointing out that people's perceptions vary.

When I started taking beta-blockers some 15 years ago, I was warned by my GP that nightmares were a possible side-effect. If you are prescribed those for any reason it might be worth taking up with the GP - changing to a different type or dosage, say. For me, it hasn't been a problem. I don't think that nightmares are a problem for me such as you describe it.

I sometimes call it a 'nightmare' when I wake up suddenly from a dream which then sticks vividly in my remembrance. This usually happens if I doze off after having woken too early in the morning, say 5 a.m. When I nod off for another hour or so, I never sink into as profound a depth of sleep as I did before the 5 a.m. wakening, so that's the time when the very vivid dreams occur. But I suppose it's a 'nightmare' if you wake from it sweating, palpitating, signs of distress. If you wake from it and, after a moment to get your bearings are able to relax and ease yourself into the world of reality, it's just a 'vivid dream'. But the point is, it may have been the same dream in each case.

Dreams such as have been described above - those of frustration, of trying to fight past an obstacle - yes, commonplace for me. Typical is the feeling of being stranded at - say - an airport - lost passport, tickets, luggage, chasing to catch a flight with only seconds to spare, left behind by my wife or others and unable to conatct them. Losing my way en route to the boarding gate. I must have a 'thing' about airports I suppose - they feature quite a lot.

If you are plagued by dreams such as these, and they disturb or distress you - well, sorry to hear it, perhaps a bit of counselling might be the thing. But please bear in mind, the aim of course of action may be: not to prevent these dreams from actually happening, but to help you come to terms with them and adopt a more relaxed frame of mind when you do wake from them.

Some of my dreams are about cycling though. Ones where I conquer a hill, a long ride, which I couldn't possibly tackle in real life. I'd like to have more of those please!

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am pleased to say that last night I just had "normal" muddled up dream(s). I dreamt I had moved house, and was watching TV. A film was shown on TV which I had played a major small part in :smile:, but because I did not have internet access, I was not able to put a post on here to tell peeps about it, and any way could not remember the name of the film :smile:.

My cold is slightly improved, I have altered the temperature of the house so that is not too hot or cold. Drank a very small quantity of very low alcoholic Perry. And I have started the massive tidy up and sort out of the contents of this house. It was very much needed because the demands of the last few years left me no time to find good homes/take to the charity shop/recycle stuff. (I cannot bear to throw away anything useful). Perhaps even just starting the process has helped, as now that I have started, I am determined to continue.

Thank you to all those who added their comments, and gave me advice on this subject. Writing about it has been a considerable help. I would add with regard to counselling that I received counselling for a long time, and now realise what most of the difficulties are, but taking action often takes time and involves persuading other people, that yes, a certain course of action is the way I will be doing things.

If anyone thinks of anything further to add, I will still be watching this thread. Thank you.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Speicher said:
This not really a question with regard to physical fitness, but it is starting to affect my physical health because of very disturbed sleep.

I suffer from the most Horrendous Nightmares. I have always had "bad" dreams, which changed to really horrible ones a few years ago. Then the nightmares got worse, I will save you the details, in case it gives some one else nightmares. Now they are continuing to get even worse, just when I thought that was not possible.

I was until recently on medication, but the doctor has always been adamant that the nightmares are in no way connected to that. I tried Ginger capsules, which seemed to work brilliantly for a while, but not any more. Can any of you give me any helpful suggestions as to how to alleviate this? Thank you.

It might be worth thinking if there was anything you stopped eating/drinking at the time you started with the ginger capsules and then when you started again the nightmares came back.

sloe

Good thing about nightmares is the relief on waking up and finding that none of it is true.

You might be able to learn to get a grip on the tail end of it just as you're waking up and bend the story your way, till it morphs into a fully conscious daydream that ends the way you want it to. Even the tiniest bit of control you can achieve is a victory and is definitely worth writing down.

Have you tried to take control over your dreams?

I learned to lucid dream, to stop myself going insane when every time I fell asleep I would re-live a fatal car crash I was involved in. I can now, if I wish, take control of my dreams and turn them into anything I want.

Fighting through treacle? I just tie the other guys hands and beat him up very slowly.

The car crash sequence starts... I do anything I want. Start running with Lola, swoop like superman out of the car and over the countryside, shag Angelina Jolie, anything.

ASC1951

Guru
domtyler said:
The bit where you are in a fight but your own body is totally unresponsive, like you are punching through treacle is a very typical nightmare scenario.
For as long as I can remember I have had occasional, very vivid, terrifying nightmares. They feature unknown people trying to hunt me down out of doors or at home, intent on killing me in some graphic manner. I get them maybe two or three times a year.

I've never been in any real situation anything like that and I can't find any behaviour in my waking routine which triggers them, so I just dismiss them as part of Life's rich whatsit. I get plenty of other dreams I am perfectly happy to be involved in ;)

Top Bottom