A revelation about 'blind spots'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The other day I was proceeding slowly along a curving left-hand bend on a quiet industrial estate. As I entered the curve a car also entered it from the other end, also travelling quite slowly. As we approached I kept an eye on the vehicle, as there are a number of places where it could have chosen to exit the curve. I was worried to realise that I could not see the driver's face, as it was hidden behind his windscreen pillar. Not only that, as we slowly approached each other, I saw that the shifting geometry of our positions meant that I was in this blind spot almost until the final moment we passed. The driver evidently had not been able to see me as he looked quite shocked when we finally came alongside each other and he looked out of his side window.

The car was not a particularly 'extreme' design, the windscreen pillars not being, by today's standards, unduly thick or sloped.

I have posted before about the poor rear-vision of modern car designs, but this made me realise that in many cars SMIDSY can actually be the honest truth - if the driver doesn't bother to move their head.

Over time there have been many road safety campaigns aimed at both drivers and car manufacturers. I think its time for a campaign about blind spots. After all, its no use us dressing up like christmas trees if all the driver can see is the inside of their own vehicle. Unfortunately, in the present financial climate, public safety campaigns seem to be a thing of the past.

This experience really made me think about how to anticipate trouble with drivers. I don't see it as excusing them in any way, but we tend to think that just because we are roughly 'in front' of a vehicle, there should be no problem with sight lines. Not so - especially when you consider that my ride is a long-wheelbase, high-seat recumbent with a five-foot flagpole . . . If you can hide that behind an 'A' pillar then you could probably hide two or three uprights.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A well known problem area, especially modern cars

Tynan

Veteran
yes

I had a popular big MPV on hols once and it had an appalling blind spot to the drivers forward right side, anything in front and to the right of you, ie pedestrians stepping off the pavement, it was a serious problem, I was amazed that had been oked for production

d87heaven

Not to mention the added vision obstruction on the windscreen I seem to be seeing a lot of lately. I sat behind a car a few days ago and beneath the rear view mirror was a sat nav stuck on the screen and below that was a mobile phone cradle with an extending arm. It must have been like driving in a tunnel.

tyred

Legendary Member
Indeed. As a driver of a 1980s designed Peugeot 205 with slim windscreen pillars and deep windows all round, I do notice this big time when I drive modern cars, especially on the approach to a roundabout.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
yes

I had a popular big MPV on hols once and it had an appalling blind spot to the drivers forward right side, anything in front and to the right of you, ie pedestrians stepping off the pavement, it was a serious problem, I was amazed that had been oked for production

Zafira by any chance?
Hateful things, I managed to lose a scooter all the way round a roundabout in one I hired, I knew it was there but just couldn't find it however much I moved my head!

On the satnav / mobile thing, I do find that on the rare occasions when I drive and use such a device (satnav built into phone) that a position in the bottom centre of the screen is less obtrusive than one in the corner - it looks really bad from the outside, but in reality is less hazardous than a taxdisc, which is on the bottom left, effectively widening the windscreen pillar even further! (On the motorbike I just use a bluetooth headset and stick the satnav in the fairing pocket - works a treat)

davefb

Guru
indeed, and when buying cars, i've dismissed some due to insane blindspots.. ( that and money ;) ) .. they are larger due to basically 'cars getting stronger' and shallower windscreens though...

having said that, i was taught to be aware of these and ensure i've checked them, so i dont understand why others are incapable of just moving their heads... its obvious a (motor)bike could be in that gap.. as tyred says, it can be really obvious at things like roundabouts,, but you just move yer head!

when driving , i'll tend to make sure i'm in a visible position( IE dont hold 3/4 in traffic, either move up or move back ) i try to do the same cycling... (applies to whatever, car/bike/ped)..

luckily, i had my 'BLIMEY!' moment early in my driving, i merged onto a motorway after checking mirrors really well and quick glance..

nope... enough room for a car between rear view/right of me and door mirror.... luckily , because it was just me being a fool and no accident,, my 'life saver' is a bit better now... ( still every so often get a 'where the hell did he come from' .. but you just have to do better!)

Sheepy1209

Veteran
There have been blindspot campaigns on tv. I see no problem whatsoever in having more of them.

Pointless, as the 'motoring public' has already decided it's our fault if they don't see us, especially if we don't happen to be wearing hi-viz.
Besides, with the proliferation of automatic collision avoidance systems the windscreen will soon only be there to keep the rain out.....and we'll all be perfectly safe.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I do notice this big time when I drive modern cars, especially on the approach to a roundabout.

With a modern car it is easy to lose a HGV in the windscreen pillar on the approach to a roundabout. The blind spot sweeps around the roaundabout on approach and is big enough to hide the HGV as it is negotiating the roundabout.

I often shift my head about to get a better look past the pillar. Unfortunately it is all part of the strength of the passenger compartment in case of a crash or roll over.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I was worried to realise that I could not see the driver's face, as it was hidden behind his windscreen pillar. Not only that, as we slowly approached each other, I saw that the shifting geometry of our positions meant that I was in this blind spot almost until the final moment we passed. The driver evidently had not been able to see me as he looked quite shocked when we finally came alongside each other and he looked out of his side window.
Spookily similar to an incident I had earlier this year - me coming down to T junction to turn right, driver coming from left-hand side of T junction, indicating to turn right into my road .... starts turning corner cutting across T junction, now pointing car direct at me ..... I realised he just hadn't seen me and manage to swerve left, and the first he sees of me is when I'm literally standing against his driver's door with my hands on his window, having thrown the bike to the left. Thankfully he was only doing about 5mph, but this was in broad daylight with me wearing a bright red cycling jacket.

I'm not sure how this is related to those times when you see a driver looking AT you, but they still don't see you. I those cases I suspect there's some visio-pschological processing going on that dismisses the shape of the cyclist as visual clutter, and effectively tells the brain to ignore it. Our brains sometimes do funny things with things we look at ... http://www.videobash.com/video_show/crazy-tables-illusion-17051

Bicycle

Zafira by any chance?
Hateful things, I managed to lose a scooter all the way round a roundabout in one I hired, I knew it was there but just couldn't find it however much I moved my head!

I too have minor issues with the blindspots in several recently-produced cars.

Not the Zafira, though. I see that as one of the better ones. Deadly dull to drive, but easy to see out of and a veritable miracle of packaging with a high seating position, good mirrors, flat flanks and lots of glass.

Among the current naughties is the Mito. Although utterly gorgeous to behold, it is pants to see out of.

My wife declined even a test drive in the current Scirocco. She loved it from the outside, but said the side windows were like letter boxes (I don't know because I didn't join her in the car).

There has been a recent move to extraordinarily thick pillars. Also, window glasses that are blacked out at the edge and offer significantly less visibility than the glass area would suggest. I'm not talking about privacy glass, which is another weird one.

The ultimate in all things good (of course) is the 2CV. It was almost as if it had no pillars.... Lovely to drive and easy to see out of. Also, it rolled so much that you got five different viewing angles of every passing object. The downside?

I once rolled a scrap one onto its roof to remove the chaasis. The pillars folded under its weight.... Oops!

There may be a reason why modern motors have thick pillars, but then again, with no separate chassis, why would anyone need to roll them over to remove it?

I feel I am defeating myself with my own logic....

Top Bottom