A review of PedalCell, an impressive new rim dynamo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raybo

Guru
I just finished testing of the PedalCell, a new rim dynamo that is designed to charge USB devices while you ride. I was impressed by how much charge it delivered. If you tour with USB-chargeable devices, this dynamo will keep them in electricity without requiring you to plug them into wall outlets.

Here is a quick summary: Every time I rode with the PedalCell, my iPhone ended up with more power at the end of the ride than when I started, no matter what apps I ran on it or how long I rode. My estimate is that it added 20% charge to my new iPhone 12 per hour of riding.

I written up my findings in a detailed review of the device for those who want more information, including photos and numbers.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Excellent, thoroughly detailed review. Thanks.
If you've ever used one, do you have a sense of how the PedalCell compares with a hub dynamo in terms of performance? (I appreciate that the two different devices will have their own pros and cons depending on their different use cases) Thanks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I used to charge from SON hub Dynamo . Used to take 3 hours to charge my Sansung Galaxy from flat. But can’t remember what battery capacity that phone was.
Can you remember which of the 57 varieties of Galaxy it was, even?

But anyway, most hub dynamos are 6V 3W, so divide the Wh of the phone battery by 3, ignore the difference between 6V and USB's 5V and round up (a crude allowance for charger inefficiency) and that's the minimum charging time in hours, if the phone can fast charge from a varying supply. I think many people prefer to charge a power bank instead of a phone because phones often chime when the current stops momentarily.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Can you remember which of the 57 varieties of Galaxy it was, even?

But anyway, most hub dynamos are 6V 3W, so divide the Wh of the phone battery by 3, ignore the difference between 6V and USB's 5V and round up (a crude allowance for charger inefficiency) and that's the minimum charging time in hours, if the phone can fast charge from a varying supply. I think many people prefer to charge a power bank instead of a phone because phones often chime when the current stops momentarily.

Most batteries aren’t rated in Wh . Least they didn’t used to be.

OP
OP
R

raybo

Guru
If you've ever used one, do you have a sense of how the PedalCell compares with a hub dynamo in terms of performance? (I appreciate that the two different devices will have their own pros and cons depending on their different use cases) Thanks.

I haven't ever used a hub dynamo, so I can't really respond to your question. Sorry.

Baldy

Über Member
Are these available over here or do you need to order from the US?

OP
OP
R

raybo

Guru
Are these available over here or do you need to order from the US?

I live in the US. I don't know if they are available elsewhere. Check the website: https://pedalcell.com .

The main weakness of tyre dynamos was a tendency to slip in wet or frosty weather once the dynamo track became worn. How does the pedalcell perform in those conditions?

I haven't ridden with the PedalCell in the rain. I never experienced a slippage when I was testing it, but, again, this was in "normal" riding conditions. I did go through water here and then, but that isn't what you are talking about. One of the video reviews on the PedalCell website shows a guy riding single track in all kinds of conditions. He doesn't mention slippage problems.

Note that the O-ring that sits against the wheel is replaceable. So, if slippage due to wear was a problem, replacing the O-ring might fix it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not exactly cheap is it? I cannot see too many people on long distance tours spending that amount of money that clamps on and is vulnerable to damage from knocks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Note that the O-ring that sits against the wheel is replaceable. So, if slippage due to wear was a problem, replacing the O-ring might fix it.
I would be more concerned about the tension of whatever springs presses the dynamo into the rim being insufficient for bad weather, reducing over time and increasing slippage. A rubber O-ring on metal sounds like lower grip than the rubber on tyre of a bottle dynamo and slippage was a problem in extreme conditions there.

Top Bottom