A review of PedalCell, an impressive new rim dynamo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's HUGE. I know it has more power than a hub dynamo, but the bulk would put me off. Also, if it's producing 12W then it's probably taking 20W from your legs, and that's not reasonable on a long ride.

It's HUGE. I know it has more power than a hub dynamo, but the bulk would put me off. Also, if it's producing 12W then it's probably taking 20W from your legs, and that's not reasonable on a long ride.
I use a high grade bottle dynamo and a Shimano dynohub. Both have typical 3W output. If this unit outputs 12w is there anything super high efficiency in the generator or does it just produce 4x resistance of a high grade dynamo ( Nordlicht).

I fixed my bottle dynamo using a braze on positioned on the leading ( not trailing) side to add to the traction. I had very poor experiences of clamp on mounts esp on the trailing side.

PedalCell

Regular
Not exactly cheap is it? I cannot see too many people on long distance tours spending that amount of money that clamps on and is vulnerable to damage from knocks.

We used aluminum and fiberglass-reinforced nylon (the same stuff used on car panels) with 11 moisture-resistant seals. Once installed properly, you'd have to get into a serious accident to damage PedalCell. As a reference, one of our inventors was testing PedalCell on his road bike a few years back at 20+ MPH. He hit a pothole, was thrown off, and broke his wrist. Not a scratch on PedalCell though.

We didn't design it to be cheap, though it is about 1/2 the price of a full dynamo wheel build (while offering 3X the charging performance).

How much? Velocharger and hub dynamo (yes I know it's actually an alternator) is a good bit cheaper even without the shipping and import taxes/duties, or DIY this:- https://www.instructables.com/10-BICYCLE-USB-CHARGER/ the circuit is easy enough, the plastic about a tenner to get 3D printed.
Can you explain your math? Velocharger + a quality dyno hub wheelbuild will cost easily over $450 USD. PedalCell is $299.

I would be more concerned about the tension of whatever springs presses the dynamo into the rim being insufficient for bad weather, reducing over time and increasing slippage. A rubber O-ring on metal sounds like lower grip than the rubber on tyre of a bottle dynamo and slippage was a problem in extreme conditions there.
Fair concern! To be honest, all rim dynamos have had issues with debris and moisture. Designing to operate on the tyre has a ton of downsides with noise and wearing down sidewalls (not fun!). Was a very difficult problem to solve. Power dropouts from rim debris are rare and go unnoticed with PedalCell thanks to our mechanical and electrical design. Our Generator's spring and o-ring are spec'd to maintain grip in wet conditions as well as operate around debris. Ask any of our customers about the force of our spring and it's obvious why there is rarely any slippage. In the case of lost power, PedalCell's CadenceX technology with supercapacitors operates as a backup to supplement charge until contact is made. TL;DR there are no drop-outs with PedalCell.

PedalCell

Regular
The majority of our size is attributed to our clamp, which needs to fit onto different size forks. Though, our weight tends to be lighter than a dynamo hub build and, more importantly, can be installed/uninstalled as needed. Also, PedalCell hardly stands out when placed next to all of the bags, racks, panniers, etc. that adventure riders use.
I use a high grade bottle dynamo and a Shimano dynohub. Both have typical 3W output. If this unit outputs 12w is there anything super high efficiency in the generator or does it just produce 4x resistance of a high grade dynamo ( Nordlicht).

Yes, PedalCell has about double the efficiency of any rim/hub dynamo per this testing, making it quite low drag. Most riders don't notice the drag due to:
- Dynamic output: PedalCell changes its power output based on your speed and device power needs. For example, if your phone is almost fully charged with the screen off, it will output a smaller amount of power. Or, if you're pedaling along at a slow pace, PedalCell will not deliver its peak power output (15-20W)
- Mechanical decoupling: Users can completely disconnect PedalCell from the rim when not needed, thus eliminating all mechanical drag.
- 3W lock: PedalCell’s Prioritized port locks max output at 3W when used alone for power-conscious rides.

Baldy

Über Member
An interesting idea, I can see some use for something like this. That it can be swoped between bike and doesn't need any permanent fittings is a good point in my book. I wouldn't mind seeing one in the flesh but at that price plus import duty, it's not going to happen.

An interesting idea, I can see some use for something like this. That it can be swoped between bike and doesn't need any permanent fittings is a good point in my book. I wouldn't mind seeing one in the flesh but at that price plus import duty, it's not going to happen.
A dynamo front wheel can of course also be swapped pretty easily. If same wheel size of course.

Baldy

Über Member
A dynamo front wheel can of course also be swapped pretty easily. If same wheel size of course.
I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand without even seeing one. Just saying that the cost of buying one importing it is very high for something on spec. Even if it is an interesting idea.

That's a comprehensive review and now that I've read it I'm a little less sceptical.

Personally, I'd never charge anything expensive from a variable source such as dynamo.
I do wonder if Android phones use the same charging communication technology as an iphone?
I've tried an iPhone 4, various androids, a garmin, wahoo and a kindle and prefer now to charge a powerbank.
Garmins can be very unreliable from hub dynamos - has anyone tested one out on this system?

For anyone thinking of this as a way to power a phone that is on your handlebars consider the risk of a fall or crash that could easily smash your phone just as you may need it the most.
Phones can be unusable in wet weather (or sweaty weather!) and hot, direct sunlight can cause your phone to switch off.
Consider also that the socket for your cable is not designed for the bumpiness of bike travel and you may end up with a damaged and unchargeable phone.
There's also the attraction of a nice, shiny phone on display to thieves.

The idea of the unit falling into the wheel is horrifying and a touring bike can hit a lot of bumps. Or at least mine does^_^

I'm curious too if the "smart hub" can be removed easily (for security) and what happens to the cabling?

I don't have the bandwidth to explore the site fully but are there reviews of long term use?
A Son 28 is guaranteed for 5 years and I can personally vouch for that as well as having the ability to return and be refurbished for a reasonable fee. I see that expenditure as an investment, not a cost.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
There's another fairly extensive review here at road.cc.

That's a comprehensive review and now that I've read it I'm a little less sceptical.
Me too.
Having fairly recently built a hub dynamo wheel for touring, if I'd been aware of the Pedalcell, I'd have given it serious consideration I think.
The idea of the unit falling into the wheel is horrifying and a touring bike can hit a lot of bumps.
From the reviews and from the images of the mounting bracket therein, I suspect that the likelihood of this is reassuringly small.
Although it's a rare occurence for most of us most of the time (and therefore perhaps can discounted in most touring scenarios), what would having a Pedalcell have been like in your recent muddy episode? Not thinking about charging, but simply managing and clearing the overwhelming amount of mud.
I'm curious too if the "smart hub" can be removed easily (for security) and what happens to the cabling
Again, from the image in the road.cc review, it looks like it has a connector which allows this.
I don't have the bandwidth to explore the site fully but are there reviews of long term use
Given the fairly recent launch (2019/20), I suspect probably not.
A Son 28 is guaranteed for 5 years and I can personally vouch for that as well as having the ability to return and be refurbished for a reasonable fee
But then you've temporarily lost your wheel, no? If a Pedalcell fails, at least the tour can continue, charging of nav devices notwithstanding.
The Pedalcell warranty appears to be 2 years.

Personally, I think the cleaner lines of a dyno hub, and needing one fewer additional 'bolt-on' devices just about sways me.
But the apparent efficiency gains of the Pedalcell over a dyno hub, together with the ease and simplicity with which the device can be completely disengaged when needed, are very compelling.

If only I'd been able to tour properly over the past 18 months, I'd have a much better idea of how my dyno hub suits the way that I tour. And I think that's what it comes down to in the end - what is my most likely use case, most of the time? As opposed to trying to think of 'edge' cases where one device or the other would be less suitable than the other.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I fitted the Brompton dynamo wheel kit a couple of years ago. SP8 dynamo. It came with as a fully built wheel with rim tape, wiring loom and a couple of ( basic) dynamo lights. I’m very pleased with it, upgraded the front light and it’s been outstanding. I paid £150 which I thought was a good deal.

There's another fairly extensive review here at road.cc.
Thanks

Me too.
Having fairly recently built a hub dynamo wheel for touring, if I'd been aware of the Pedalcell, I'd have given it serious consideration I think.

I'd have considered it too. But probably gone with a hub. (I upgraded from a Shimano dynohub to Son for the added protection and service for a long trip. That was a smart move!)

Now, if @PedalCell were to develop a more slimline adapter thingy between hub and chargepoint I could benefit from the advantages of a hub and their new tech.
From the reviews and from the images of the mounting bracket therein, I suspect that the likelihood of this is reassuringly small.
It's big, it's bulky, it's got a powerful spring..... if something does go wrong not going into the wheel is unlikely.
On tour, a bike can get into a lot of situations that it doesn't normally.
At least mine does!😊
(It's about to go on its second sea crossing!)

Although it's a rare occurence for most of us most of the time (and therefore perhaps can discounted in most touring scenarios), what would having a Pedalcell have been like in your recent muddy episode? Not thinking about charging, but simply managing and clearing the overwhelming amount of mud.
^_^
That would have been a test! Given the quantity and the stickiness I'd guess removal, cleaning and reattaching - at the very least.
Of more concern, a fallen bike a few days later.
Again, from the image in the road.cc review, it looks like it has a connector which allows this.
That would be important for non touring. I wonder about the cabling, though.

Given the fairly recent launch (2019/20), I suspect probably not.
I was going to offer my services^_^ but given my style decided it's safer for all parties😊

But then you've temporarily lost your wheel, no? If a Pedalcell fails, at least the tour can continue, charging of nav devices notwithstanding.
The Pedalcell warranty appears to be 2 years.
Well, not really. A hub dynamo that stops producing electricity is still a hub. It's my call whether to replace or not.
Also, Son have a worldwide network of agents. I dealt exclusively with the agent after my mishap.
Personally, I think the cleaner lines of a dyno hub, and needing one fewer additional 'bolt-on' devices just about sways me.

That would be my way if thinking too. Versatility as well. Switching from a bikepacking to touring set up may well be easier with a hub.

But the apparent efficiency gains of the Pedalcell over a dyno hub, together with the ease and simplicity with which the device can be completely disengaged when needed, are very compelling.
Here's the thing;
Yes, it appears to be more efficient but how much efficiency* do we really need?
I'd only ever have my phone as a navigation device in an emergency.
I rarely play music.
I use a gps and a kindle. GPS is good for three days, the Kindle typically for weeks.
Once I can replace the energy used I'm happy. A powerbank for backup/comfort.
I understand that others use their phones more as well as gopros and the like.

* Efficiency of the unit depends on angle of attachment. Can't quite get my head around that one.

If only I'd been able to tour properly over the past 18 months, I'd have a much better idea of how my dyno hub suits the way that I tour. And I think that's what it comes down to in the end - what is my most likely use case, most of the time? As opposed to trying to think of 'edge' cases where one device or the other would be less suitable than the other.
If it seems like I'm trying to engage in a peeing contest, that the system I use is better than theirs, that's not my intention at all.

There's more to a charging system than efficiency in the same way that there's more to a bike than wheel size or weight to a tent.

I tend to think of "most of the time" but also consider the worst case scenario. Most of the time my phone would be fine on the handlebars.
That one time I fall and it smashes? Unlikely, but potentially serious.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It would be nice if this claimed efficiency improvements could be built into a hub.
Maybe I am a luddite, but I would only consider charging battery packs using my bike, I just don’t trust the possibility of spikes ruining my expensive devices. On top of that there is the inherent risk of strapping expensive items, like phones, iPad and kindles to the bike. I would rather charge those in a safer manner.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s more a solution for the social media generation. My phones are switched off when on the move. They will go at least a week before needing a charge. If sleeping wild in a remote place then it’d have its uses. But in Europe or other places with access to cafes and campsites every couple of days. It’s no too hard to keep phone topped up enough. A fast charger with lightning cable and your iPhone can go from flat to charged in an hour in a cafe.

Top Bottom