A Rustic Thread - Yesterday In Pics...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Parked immediately outside work was this fine example. No chain (security measure?) but splendid in rust!
Maybe some of the older members of this forum - Fab, Mickle, Dayvo etc :tongue: could throw some extra light on the provenance of this bike.
Hoping that any replies might help the education of younger members of our cycling fraternity- such as Rich P, Postman and myself - for example :biggrin:

10eerrn.jpg

impb9d.jpg

2vwhjmb.jpg

aufafr.jpg

16k58a8.jpg

2akbqdv.jpg

23r2rti.jpg

Another sunny day - enjoy every moment.:smile:

It's 1950's and English but I can't make out the head badge.

It was a high quality bike when new.

Is it still there?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fascinating. Those cottered cranks take me back a bit.

I have enlarged the picture of the head tube and still can't read the maker's name. Can anybody else read it or recognise it? I thought itmight be Humber but Sheldon says they had a distinctive chainring with little people running around it.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Looks like a Benelux front changer. The rear could be one of their later campag copies, the name of which escapes me.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ah yes my Dad had one of those! The chainless Hercules was superceded by the Rolls Canardly if I'm not mistaken:biggrin:

yenrod

Rhythm Thief said:
Does the owner take the chain off to prevent his bike being pinched, do you think?:tongue:

If I took my chain off as a security measure then id have to buy a new one !

postman

Legendary Member
As a senior person now.I love that,thank you.It should be a crime to allow a bike to get into that condition.I can see the beauty of it even now.I wonder what history it has.The badge is a work of art.So old bike i salute you.

As a very young 48-year-old, I take umbrage at being considered learned, wise, knowledgeable, er, old! ;)

Looks like it fell out of a time machine.

No, I don't recognise it, but it looks like it was a class bike many moons ago.
A good renovation object, possibly.

simonali

Guru
What I find amazing is that it has an intact Ever Ready rear light. When I had one of those years ago the red lens bit used to pop off and distribute my batteries across the road every time I went over a bump! ;)

eskj7a.jpg

The poor bike was still tethered as I left work this evening :sad:

Simon - it probably is a two chainring thing - about two teeth difference I guess!

And Dayvo - you're too young to be called old - it's just that you always seem to be so 'elderly' in your experienced comments! :evil::tongue:

Today I saw another couple of olde bykes tethered to posts...Hmmm.

Top Bottom