A sad loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was idly checking over my bike this afternoon and found a crack at the bottom of the head tube. It's an aluminium frame, so I believe this is terminal.

It's the bike with which I rediscovered the joy of cycling about a year and a half ago. Since then it's accompanied me to 42 imperial centuries, and I had absolutely no wish to replace it. It seems wierd, but of course it still looks exactly the same. A few hours ago I was looking forward to many new adventures. Now it will never be ridden again.

I will take it to my LBS tomorrow for confirmation of my prognosis.

This is crap of the highest order.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Picture ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bike specs etc. It may have been ridden harder than designed - was it a cheap bike ? You have a potential warranty claim if only 18 months old.

si_c

Guru
Definitely you can get it rewelded. It's not terminal.

Worth asking around some local aluminium fabrication shops to see if they'd have a go. Won't be massively expensive either.

Drago

Legendary Member
Have it cryogenically frozen in the hope that future generations find a cure.

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Here's a picture. Light wasn't ideal, not to mention my mood:

Crack.jpg

My guess is that it's probably caused by a bit of corrosion expansion in the headset - a lesson perhaps to those who are relaxed about maintaining such things. I clean up after most rides, so it's unlikely to have been there long. The bike is a 2005 entry-level Raleigh tourer - similar to a Ridgeback Tour in current ranges. To be honest it doesn't owe me anything. Does that make me happy? Not really!

Top Bottom