A sad loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The bike has done you proud, and you in turn gave it the fullest of lives. That is something.
Well spotted though, better you find out now than halfway down a hill.

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thank you for all the comments. I'm sure we all get attached to bikes that have served us well for a long time. I'm sure I thought I needed sympathy, but the "man up and move on" comments are probably hitting the right note.

Anyway...languishing almost forgotten at the back of my garage was a 520-framed Dawes Horizon which I nabbed off eBay at the end of 2015 for my daughter. It hadn't been ridden since (grrr) and at 48cm it isn't my size (with a Dawes-style tourer 53cm would be right) but I've been able to configure it to my dimensions without too much difficulty. My favoured saddle, stem, rack, tyres, pedals, cages and mudguards have migrated their way across, and it's ready to go:

Horizon1.jpg

Showing that amount of seat post looks a bit alarming to me , but it's well within limits so I hope it will be OK.

On the basis of a short road test to make sure everything's working, it feels good, and I start to wonder why I put up with aluminium for so long. Hopefully I'll get to do a proper ride shortly, and if that goes OK I'll try to find something similar in my optimum size.

If I were buying new I'd probably want a Ridgeback, or maybe a Spa, but I'm not sure I can really afford one of those at the moment. So if this works and buys me a bit of time it will be a good solution.

Attachments

• Horizon2.jpg
    Horizon2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 43

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thank you for all the comments. I'm sure we all get attached to bikes that have served us well for a long time. I'm sure I thought I needed sympathy, but the "man up and move on" comments are probably hitting the right note.

Anyway...languishing almost forgotten at the back of my garage was a 520-framed Dawes Horizon which I nabbed off eBay at the end of 2015 for my daughter. It hadn't been ridden since (grrr) and at 48cm it isn't my size (with a Dawes-style tourer 53cm would be right) but I've been able to configure it to my dimensions without too much difficulty. My favoured saddle, stem, rack, tyres, pedals, cages and mudguards have migrated their way across, and it's ready to go:

View attachment 342974

Showing that amount of seat post looks a bit alarming to me , but it's well within limits so I hope it will be OK.

On the basis of a short road test to make sure everything's working, it feels good, and I start to wonder why I put up with aluminium for so long. Hopefully I'll get to do a proper ride shortly, and if that goes OK I'll try to find something similar in my optimum size.

If I were buying new I'd probably want a Ridgeback, or maybe a Spa, but I'm not sure I can really afford one of those at the moment. So if this works and buys me a bit of time it will be a good solution.

It doesn't look too much like a too small bike made big, and so what if it did?

No worries about the seat post, and if it was much lower if would foul the top of your trunk bag.

The reach might be a bit short, although with that stem the hoods are some way from the saddle.

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It doesn't look too much like a too small bike made big, and so what if it did?

No worries about the seat post, and if it was much lower if would foul the top of your trunk bag.

The reach might be a bit short, although with that stem the hoods are some way from the saddle.
It's about 1cm closer than I had before, which probably isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't have been so good if I hadn't swapped my old stem over.

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think you need to nip across to Harrogate on that Bridlington ride of yours to incorporate a visit to Spa Cycles.
Haha - that wouldn't've been the best day to shatter a frame, would it?

The information Spa give about their frame geometry looks very comprehensive, and coupled with the good reputation of their products I'd be confident of ordering from them without a visit. However, I was very taken by the 631 special they had at the start of the year, but they only seem to have the Audax style ones left. It would be hard now to stomach paying an extra £100 for the 725 version, which they don't even do in blue - that looked soooo nice.

I could still get a 2016 Ridgeback Panorama from my nearest Evans's. And I've got my eye on a good-looking hybrid on eBay which will probably sell for very little and which I could probably reconfigure to do everything I need/want.

I do hope the Dawes works for me in the short term so that I can take my time and really enjoy this.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think that Dawes looks pretty good for now, almost any slanted top tube frame I ride looks like that, as I am 6 feet 2 inches tall, and there have been few problems in my case, so long as measurements are pretty close on. I was considering a used Klein Quantum the other day, but reconsidered due to probable metal fatigue.

Top Bottom