A sad loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Here's a picture. Light wasn't ideal, not to mention my mood:

View attachment 342819

My guess is that it's probably caused by a bit of corrosion expansion in the headset - a lesson perhaps to those who are relaxed about maintaining such things. I clean up after most rides, so it's unlikely to have been there long. The bike is a 2005 entry-level Raleigh tourer - similar to a Ridgeback Tour in current ranges. To be honest it doesn't owe me anything. Does that make me happy? Not really!
There's a second crack forming, off to the left as viewed. With that crack already having split two ways under the paint with a third to the right. I've ridden with a cracked seat tube, but watched what I was doing. Once home that was it, never took the chance of riding it to the bike shop.
Crack.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The head tube on my old Scott road bike cracked in the same place as yours. Someone told me you can put one of those clamp things around it and tighten it up to make it safe. I didn't bother. It would've looked naff,even if it made it safe and the bike tube cracking gave me an excuse to buy a new bike!

classic33

Leg End Member
The head tube on my old Scott road bike cracked in the same place as yours. Someone told me you can put one of those clamp things around it and tighten it up to make it safe. I didn't bother. It would've looked naff,even if it made it safe and the bike tube cracking gave me an excuse to buy a new bike!
I'd use as a "get me home" fix, if it were designed to clamp metal. Hose clamps, forget the. Better still don't consider them.

You would have to drill out the crack to prevent propagation before clamping. Not safe at all. What brand is the frame.

Venod

Eh up
That's the name i was looking for...hose clamps!

Am I the only one on here who refers to these as Jubilee clips.

D

Deleted member 1258

Here's a picture. Light wasn't ideal, not to mention my mood:

View attachment 342819

My guess is that it's probably caused by a bit of corrosion expansion in the headset - a lesson perhaps to those who are relaxed about maintaining such things. I clean up after most rides, so it's unlikely to have been there long. The bike is a 2005 entry-level Raleigh tourer - similar to a Ridgeback Tour in current ranges. To be honest it doesn't owe me anything. Does that make me happy? Not really!

That's an excuse to buy yourself something nice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know that practical matters must be hard for you to consider at this difficult time, and I don't want to be insensitive but ...

You'd better look sharp and get a replacement lined up for your April century! It's a good thing you got your March one in before you noticed it.

Top Bottom