A safety message for cyclists........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That sign has been up for weeks. I've ignored it.

So I could have started a twitter storm over it? Damn, my social-media-fu is weakass.

DBL0-NPXcAEdmTj.jpg

As a point of inquiry where is that a written rule?

Just want a backup for when some know it all motorist pulls me up for this one.Cheers.

Road signs giving orders

Not listed.......

I once had a PCSO explain to me that this was compulsory because it was in blue with white writing:

Cyclists+Dismount+Sign.gif

Wasn't happy when I started complaining about the cars passing this sign and ignoring it...\\

2e4e9e_da478d421f0e4b958f2d2ac3afea6afb.png

After all if it was compulsory the all motorists had to comply and park, ignoring it and driving past was as serious as ignoring the cyclists dismount

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I like the way a sign for bikes is in the bike lane, yet a sign for cars is placed on the footpath.
Yeah, I'd move that sign. I do it with others. Utilities companies are especially dangerous with their sign placements - Anglian Water the worst IMO, closely followed by Morrison Utilities and Mervyn Lambert.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Advisory only, no legal obligation to do so either.
It's an odd one. There should be a traffic regulation order closing the road for that sign to be used, but to get such an order, it should close the carriageway to motorists before it closes it to cyclists... and such an order should result in the no cycling sign (bike symbol on white in a red circle) being used.

So I suspect the roadworks are not legal under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1990 due to non compliance with the mandatory Code of Practice on Safety at Street Works. Report them to the highways authority's Street Works Officers and Sustainable Transport Team. I suspect you won't get those roadworks fixed because those officers are suffering austerity cutbacks in most authorities, but it might get the undertakers discouraged from future illegal works.

Top Bottom