A simple question: Do you wear a helmet?

Do you wear a bicycle helmet when riding your bicycle?

• Never

Votes: 49 18.5%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 23 8.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • About half the time

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Almost all of the time

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • Always

Votes: 100 37.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Thankfully people who understand the issue as badly as yourself are not given these decisions to make.

Licramite

Über Member
Ok lots of people get hurt in lots of ways, I suppose it comes down to - do you regard cycling as a dangerous thing to do , say like parachuting, or rock climbing or drinking in a glasgow pub. - I do , you don,t.

and because I do , I wouldn,t do it without taking what I regard as sensible precautions, I wouldn,t parachute without a helmet on , not that it would make a happeth of difference if my chute failed, might keep my brains in place, or make it easier to find my head.

and the graveyards are full of people who thought it would never happen to them.

and statistics will prove cycling is far more dangerous than the first two activities.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I don't understand where people get this idea that cycling is dangerous.

It's a low risk activity.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you keep telling people it's dangerous, and promoting 'safety' equipment then eventually enough stuff sticks.

Of course the fact that 90%+ of cyclists in places like Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands do not wear helmets, yet their cemeteries are not overflowing with dead cyclists is completely ignored.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Of course the fact that 90%+ of cyclists in places like Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands do not wear helmets, yet their cemeteries are not overflowing with dead cyclists is completely ignored.

Actually, I think you'll find that Dutch cemeteries are full of dead cyclists. It's just that very few of them died from injuries suffered while cycling. ;)

d.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Here's an interesting piece in today's Guardian on the latest ONS figures relating to causes of death:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/data...-mortality-rates-cause-death-2011?CMP=twt_fd#

In 2011, more than twice as many people died from choking on their food while eating (210) than were killed in "a transport accident" while cycling (98). Perhaps restaurants should be required by law to provide customers with dining helmets and hi-viz cutlery.

Also, given the number of people who die of circulatory diseases, you might well argue that not cycling is considerably more dangerous than cycling, with or without head protection.

d.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The CTC does. The benefit:cost ratio is between 20:1 and 50:1

defy-one

I never understand why cyclists bring pedestriants into the helmet debate.
They have for many a year had a safe ,and seperate route to take away from fast moving cars.
We are the ones usually sandwiched between the two.
To use the pedestrian (helmet) argument kind of makes me think you have lost the debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom