A sister site?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arch said:
Cab said:
Administrator said:
Well, I'm quite willing to add a line to the footer of the forum pages along the lines of:

For other excellent cycling forums, visit: <link1> - <link2> - <link3> - etc.

If other sites wouldn't mind reciprocating, we can built the bridges and let people wander across if they want to. :?:

Excellent idea.

Yup, that's the way to do it. Personally, I only have the time and inclination to frequent one forum, and as I never go MTBing, it's more likely to be this one than any with a lot of MTBers on, but there's no reason why we can't mix.

I do wonder if there's an age thing behind the lack of cohesion - but that's based on my spurious idea that MTBers tend to be younger, and chaps... (I know, I know, I'm wrong, but I just have a mental image. I think I get MTB and BMX mixed up in my head... :?: )

BTW, I'm a commuting-leisure-tourer, so I'm not really a roadie or an MTBer...

My attempt at analysing why there is a culture clash between some roadies and MTBers over on Bikeradar has met with instant denunciation from a MTBer who in his post said the forum was "overrun by illiterate kids."

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Patrick Stevens said:
Arch said:
Cab said:
Administrator said:
Well, I'm quite willing to add a line to the footer of the forum pages along the lines of:

If other sites wouldn't mind reciprocating, we can built the bridges and let people wander across if they want to. :rolleyes:

Excellent idea.

Yup, that's the way to do it. Personally, I only have the time and inclination to frequent one forum, and as I never go MTBing, it's more likely to be this one than any with a lot of MTBers on, but there's no reason why we can't mix.

I do wonder if there's an age thing behind the lack of cohesion - but that's based on my spurious idea that MTBers tend to be younger, and chaps... (I know, I know, I'm wrong, but I just have a mental image. I think I get MTB and BMX mixed up in my head... :?: )

My attempt at analysing why there is a culture clash between some roadies and MTBers over on Bikeradar has met with instant denunciation from a MTBer who in his post said the forum was "overrun by illiterate kids."

Methinks the Junior member for Llangollen hath stirred-up a veritable Hornets nest over at BR :?: :sad: :8:
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12535527&start=105

OP
OP
M

majorbloodnock

Arch said:
Cab said:
Administrator said:

If other sites wouldn't mind reciprocating, we can built the bridges and let people wander across if they want to. :?:

Excellent idea.

Well, that's the main reason I was inclined originally to keep the two forums separate. Anyone indulging in just one of the disciplines is likely to want a site that is pretty selectively targetted (IMHO, of course - no empirical data to back up that assumption). However, there are cross-over points which make the forging of ties between the sites sensible, and (once again IMHO) this Cafe is one of them, since MTBers of mature years and outlooks and Roadies with the same have plenty in common.

I also suspect that you and Patrick are right about the age thing, although with exceptions, and I'd be inclined to largely disagree with Patrick's inclusion of educational standard in the mix. The example I'd be inclined to use, of course, is the old WMB forum, since we generally had a membership in their late 20's or 30's which was pretty relaxed. Trolls rarely managed to gain a foothold since there weren't too many shoulder-based chips to exploit very far. However, we did also have a significant late teens contingent who also made a positive contribution, and I put that down to their mature attitude. Basically, no-one seemed to feel the need to prove themselves, since everyone was welcoming to begin with, and that's where I believe MBUK differed, and hence where the antagonism comes from - attitude.

Sorry, ramble over.

trio25

Über Member
As a member of both CP and WMB forums it actually suited me to have them seperate. Just glad I've found places to go now they have become Bikerader.

Fozzybear

Hi guys
I am the admin @ www.uk-mtb.com
kinda the WMTB reserve forum :tongue:

as Major has said we have made our own forum for WMTB and MTB users in general from the WMTB members and we are adding more users over time.

TBH our "Road" section is poor it would be a good idea (IMO) for myself to add a link to this forum on the "roady" section of our site being as your basically C+ reserve.

i would only ask you do the same but obviously this is up to you guys.
Have a look around the forum and see what you think we are a friendly helpful bunch (IMO) who pretty much self moderate (unlike the "sandbox" of MBUK). Anyways have a look and talk and think but i am MORE than happy to refer the "road" section to this forum as part of a partnership but as you suggest a merge is not what i was looking to do. We know that the forum generates a "air" about it from the members and it's attitude and i for one would never want to sacrifice this on any forum (as sadly has happened to some extent on BR).
FozzyB

I did feel that the WMB crew were the ones who really got the fuzzy end of the lollipop in the whole BR debacle. Dropped off the radar completely, so to speak. Nice to have you visit us muddy blokes! I for one won't reciprocate, on account of having this allergy to getting really filthy, but my carrot cake is your carrot cake while you're over here. :biggrin:

Oh, over there I'm known as Aunty Rubbish. Had a few run-ins with some of the less pleasant MBUK crew... :tongue: :?:

Fozzybear

you have recipes for carrot cake????? :biggrin:

willing to share ours :tongue:
here
http://uk-mtb.com/cms_articles.php

there are a smattering of mbuk members but they are the "old skool" members who are WELL trusted and known among the community.

put it like this i run the site but i don't mod it, that is done by select members of the forum i just manage the running physically of the server. Makes for an excellent feel.

i know some don't like dirt :?: but some of our lot (inc me) single speed and occasionally road ride.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
On visiting the forum linked at in the first post, I found a hive of activity :tongue: :?: