A SS-rider vs a Geared-rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
GrasB said:
Geared bike - clean chain, clean mechs, check & fettle (if required) indexing, clean cables & make sure they're running smoothly (replace if needed), measure chain, check sprokets (there are a lot more to check) & chainring (more to check again) slack, oil chain.

Sh1t, all I do is oil the dam thing! Had it two years, Shimano Tiagra components, so not exactly top notch but I do a fair few miles in all weathers and the only thing I've had to do is change the rear brakeblocks.

That's what I call low maintenance.

I will be getting a fixed though because I want to ride track next year :laugh:

Debian

ianrauk said:
Brake cables squire...

A fixed should have brake cables as well, or at least one?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And I was just being a pedantic arse :laugh:

GrasB said:
I have those to check on the fixie & geared bikes as wee. I was trying to highlight the difference in maintenance of the drive system

GrasB

Veteran
Rob3rt said:
I dont know the top speeds of pro road cyclists, but track cyclists hit some pretty grizly speeds (even if its only over a short sprint), so I dont know where the arguement that road bikes allow you to go faster comes from, depends on the gearing of the fixed wheel bike from where im standing. Of course enlighten me if im wrong here.
Yeah but on track you can run big gears because all you'd use the gears for is to get up to speed from then on out you'll be basically at the top end of your gears anyway so what's the point in having the gears?

tyred

Legendary Member
Debian said:
Must admit I'd like to try a SS bike but I'm very dubious as to whether I'd even like it for my commute. I like to ride keeping a nearly constant, fairly fast cadence at whatever speed I'm travelling.

The low maintenance idea is very appealing for a general commuter hack.

This is the advantage you would gain from riding a SS. You would very quickly become good at producing a useful power output at a wide range of cadences. When you ride your geared bike again, you'll find you need to make less gear changes.

It doesn't need to cost a fortune. Get an old ten speed racer, (it doesn't have to be a high end one for a hack bike, the important part is that the main components are usable) remove the five speed block, the derailleurs, the cable and changes and throw in bin/parts box, fit a BMX freewheel (or track sprocket if you're going fixed) and space and disk the rear wheel so that it lines up with the inner chainwheel, fit a new chain and off you go.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
GrasB said:
Yeah but on track you can run big gears because all you'd use the gears for is to get up to speed from then on out you'll be basically at the top end of your gears anyway so what's the point in having the gears?

Im just saying that you can hit the same speed on the bike, maybe even a bit higher with the reduced weight. So the absolute arguement road bikes let you go faster isnt really correct. If you geared the track to match a road bikes top gear the track/fixed could have the edge of top speed because if the efficiency and reduced weight.

May not be practical, I see that. Just saying in an absolute speed comparison since someone mentioned it.

Debian

tyred said:
This is the advantage you would gain from riding a SS. You would very quickly become good at producing a useful power output at a wide range of cadences. When you ride your geared bike again, you'll find you need to make less gear changes.

It doesn't need to cost a fortune. Get an old ten speed racer, (it doesn't have to be a high end one for a hack bike, the important part is that the main components are usable) remove the five speed block, the derailleurs, the cable and changes and throw in bin/parts box, fit a BMX freewheel (or track sprocket if you're going fixed) and space and disk the rear wheel so that it lines up with the inner chainwheel, fit a new chain and off you go.

But all the above involves bike-building type work! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I just want someone to lend me a SS! :laugh:

Debian

Rob3rt said:
Depends! Personal preference really, not sure of legalities? I dont run a brake atm, although im going to be adding one.

Almost any bike has to have two independent braking systems, i.e. one on each wheel in order to comply with the relevant construction and use regulations. If it doesn't it's illegal to use on a public highway.

What would happen if your chain snapped going down a steep hill?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Debian said:
Almost any bike has to have two independent braking systems, i.e. one on each wheel in order to comply with the relevant construction and use regulations. If it doesn't it's illegal to use on a public highway.

What would happen if your chain snapped going down a steep hill?

Thats why Im putting a brake on it (front only), because it can be difficult in certain situations like stopping at lights on a decent unless you go down at a slower than desirable pace, Ive not had the bike long, it was sold as a track bike, hence no break supplied and I just havent got round to putting one on it. At present I havent been on a steep hill as I do training rides on a flat route, I used to ride BMX so I'd use my foot as absolute emergency by instinct I guess. But I will be adding a brake.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Debian said:
That's cool and sensible. It's brake BTW :laugh:

yeah im writting 2 things with the words break and brake a lot at the same time, lol

My work paper will probly have brake all throguh it now :rolleyes:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I was concerned about my legality actually, since Ive passed a few police cars on my training route, manchester to stockport and back. But they have never pulled me(even after eyeing me up proper at the lights in stockport), so I wasnt sure.

Doesnt bother me adding a brake though, since I bought the bike because it was cheap and knowing it should be okay for taking on a track (most of them, although I think may need different cranks to go on Manchester Velodrome) with changing some components and a re-spray(or powdercoat) factored into its purchase.

Top Bottom