A SS-rider vs a Geared-rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Debian said:
Now that's another downside for me. It's about my preferred cadence but I can be doing 18 - 20 mph for that on my MTB.

But of you geared the fixed to the same gearing you are doing that on the mountain with bike surelly you would be equally paced for your cadence if not faster on a fixed? Hell not even a fixed, a single speed or any road bike really?

Debian

Rob3rt said:
But of you geared the fixed to the same gearing you are doing that on the mountain with bike surelly you would be equally paced for your cadence if not faster on a fixed? Hell not even a fixed, a single speed or any road bike really?

If it's highly geared enough to be doing that sort of speed then surely there'd be next to no hill climbing ability?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You cant have everything! lol

Its pretty obvious that the downfall of a single speed or a fixed is that its going to be less versatile.

I ride a 48 tooth chain ring and 15 tooth down back, I dont know the technical implications of this (i.e. how far travelled per pedal roation) bar its low geared. But I manage fine, on a fairly flat terrain. Can take smallish hills just fine, but obviously the downfall I'll be slowing to a halt and falling off sideways on a really steep hill. I have a road bike for any hilly rides or rides I'll need versatility.

GrasB

Veteran
What's your target cadence? I can climb short 7.5% gradients with an 85" gear (25.3mph @ 100ppm or 45:13 with a 650x23c tyre) & do sustained climbs over 5% on 73" (22mph @ 100ppm or 45:15 with 650x23c tyres). The hills would be harder to climb on a single speed or geared bike of the same gearing

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are you talking to me?

If you are, I really dont know my ideal candence on the road, I dont have a computer yet (since I spent like every penny on my road bike). On a stationary bike im most comfortable spinning at about 100 rpm. But I find riding fixed I pedal at a lower cadence than that (probly because its geared so low), and its still very comfortable, I cycle 20 miles and feel very fresh still after, I think I could do 40-50 miles on it over similar terrain.

tyred

Legendary Member
I ride 46:18 SS on a 27 x 1 1/4" wheel. It's a light bike for a steel frame. I have managed 23-23MPH on the flat but can't keep it up for very long. About 18-19MPH is my normal speed on this bike. I have no idea what cadence that works out and tbh, I don't really care. With this gear, I can climb anything I need to climb in my area but I've had the speed down to about 5MPH on occasion on the steep bits. Yet I find I can't climb this hill any faster on my (admittedly much heavier) slick tyred MTB in a much lower gear ratio. Easier yes, faster no.

I enjoy how responsive the SS feels and the fact that I never have to think about what I'm doing, I don't need to thonk about what gear I should be in, I just get on with it - want to go faster - pedal faster, want to go slower - pedal slower, struggling going up a hill - stand up and pedal. To me, it's cycling in it's simplest form and I like it. The other thing I like is being able to travel in perfect silence apart from a little tyre noise. Derailleur equipped bikes make a lot more noise as the longer chain threads it's way through a load of additional wheels (and I didn't even notice this until I started riding SS and three speed, now I do notice).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
tyred said:
I enjoy how responsive the SS feels and the fact that I never have to think about what I'm doing, I don't need to thonk about what gear I should be in, I just get on with it - want to go faster - pedal faster, want to go slower - pedal slower, struggling going up a hill - stand up and pedal. To me, it's cycling in it's simplest form and I like it. The other thing I like is being able to travel in perfect silence apart from a little tyre noise.

This is exactly what I thought once I got over my initial fear riding it.

I had not cycled much since I was about 14-15 (Used to ride a mountain bike along cycle paths regularly with my dad) my more recent cycling was basically only a 2 mile(4 mile round trip) commute each day on a tiny BMX bike. So I got on a road bike as a total newby to it, and within about 5-10 mile I was loving the simplicity of riding the track bike. Very relaxing, yet inviting to give it some along a nice clean stretch of road.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I guess its not for everyone, I only bought mine as a training tool that I could ride abut in the dark and wet without care, it was cheap, it was track legal (with minor modification) and for getting around in the city being able to lock it up without worrying.

Since then, its always been 1st choice over a really nice road bike that cost more than 3 times its price. Of course the road bike is my "favourite", but unless i NEED the gears(which I haven yet, Ive only used the road bike twice, lol), I'd choose the fixed every time. Always wondered the attraction to them, maybe fashion? maybe geniune advantages? For me its just simply good fun, and as added bonus easier to trackstand on ;) Only about 6 weks riding and im a fixed fanboy!

Certainly dont think they are better or worse than geared bike, just different, with different purposes I guess.

Test ride one at a LBS! :laugh:

Garz

Squat Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']To quote St. Sheldon:

"A fixed-gear bike is considerably lighter than a multi-speed bike of comparable quality, due to the absence of the rear brake, derailers, shift levers, and extra sprockets. A fixed-gear bike also has a substantially shorter chain.
[/QUOTE]

You do realise that people's converted fixies (projects) and some low level cheaper offerings weigh a ton so dont fully believe this 'lighter' rubbish. Granted if I swapped my current bike to a fixie it would be lighter, however the examples I mentioned here actually weigh more than my bike carrying all the gubbins... ;)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Garz said:
You do realise that people's converted fixies (projects) and some low level cheaper offerings weigh a ton so dont fully believe this 'lighter' rubbish. Granted if I swapped my current bike to a fixie it would be lighter, however the examples I mentioned here actually weigh more than my bike carrying all the gubbins... ;)

I agree. My Fuji Track weighs (by feel - not acuratelly) about the same as my full geared Cannondale road bike.

jimboalee

More 'Mumbo Jumbo'.

To decide your optimum gear for a Fixie or SS, firstly you need to evaluate the cadence you are most comfortable at.

Then assess the sustained power you can achieve for the duration of the ride you mean to do.

Then, using your 'roadload' curve, see what speed is applicable to the power you have deduced.

Then, using this speed figure, calculate the gear which gives you this speed at your 'natural' cadence.

It will be different for everyone, so asking and comparing is a waste of time.

EXAMPLE.

90 rpm.
140 Watts.

Nominal aerodynamic characteristic of Cd 0.88 ( 17.5 mph at 140 W )

67" gives 17.5 mph at 90 rpm.

[This is what I use].

tyred

Legendary Member
Garz said:

Note that Sheldon said for bikes of comparable quality.

I have two steel roadbikes built from bits and pieces, a Carlton and a Peugeot. I used the lighter Carlton as a SS and put gears on the Pug :smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Debian said:
I must admit I'd love to try one out for the experience.

Takes a few rides to get used to fixed (at least for an old fart like me) but well worth persisting with. Left both brakes on in case I decided to change to SS, but even after a few weeks I'm pretty sure I'll stay fixed.

Top Bottom