A SS-rider vs a Geared-rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arnuld

Über Member
I am using my FM for commuting and it is single speed (SS) . Earlier, like a normal Indian I was hell bent on buying a geared bike but then after finding forums like cyclechat.co.uk ;) and singlespeed.net I came across this article that changed my view of SS forever. Now after riding for some time and still loving it all the time
icon_smile.gif
I keep on browsing the net for cycling related discussions and here I came across this post in singletracks.com forum that again have impacted me a lot. The post starts with SS vs Geared cycles but what I found was that its more of a rider comparison rather than the cycle type:

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/view ... aa7d867542

You guys have experiences like this to share ?

tyred

Legendary Member
A singlespeed bike is lighter and more efficient and when you ride one, you quickly learn the principle of conserving momentum for hills. Remember that each gear change robs a little momentum and if you have low gears to play with, you will use them so on a singlespeed, you climb hills in a higher gear so each turn of the pedals propels you further.

Building a singlespeed roadbike was the best thing I ever did. I rarely ride my geared bikes. I even use a bottle dynamo on it without a problem (I was concerned it would make it too hard to pedal). Someday, I might even be brave and replace the freewheel with a track sprocket.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i had a ss fs mtb over the summer and it was fun. unfortunately the mtb has been pushed into winter commuter and ss commuting was not practical for where i live. it really did improve my fitness a lot and i can nearly keep up with other riders.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I bought a fixed wheel bike for getting about the city (with being able to ride track as a training activity in mind), bought the cheapest I could find (a Fuji Track for a little over £300 new), since I wanted to be able to lock it up without worry, I love it. Its actually not the lightest thing in the world, by feel, my Cannondale road bike is about the same weight if not lighter. But its quick and as far as I can see, its upgradable fairly successfully. ill be getting it resprayed soon and sticking some nicer wheels and front break on it.

I like how riding fixed makes you more aware of what is around you, knowing you cant stops very fast etc. Not so tempting to blast from lights to lights, wasting energy accellerating hard then slamming the breaks on. Its also really inviting to put your foot down when you get a nice long stretch of open road. I find Im fresher after 20 miles on fixed than on a geared road bike too. I am new to cycling but I am confident I could make 40 miles no problem on the fixed (on fairly flat routes). On the road bike, id make it, but I'd be much more tired. The dead spot on the pedal motion is like a smack in the face moving from fixed to geared for the 1st few miles.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fixed is more fun! Also, fixed bikes are lighter! Also, fixed riders get stronger, because there's no easy option going uphill - you just have to push harder. Reps will build muscle, but to build serious muscle you have to do reps at or exceeding your limit. On a fixed, every proper hill gives you that kind of workout. I went fixed about 9 months ago, for my daily 7-8 miles each way thru' London commute. I've barely been back on a geared bike since (used the knobbly-tyred hybrid in the snow, but that's it).

RedBike

Daft question, but whats an FM?

I've ridden virtually nothing but singlespeed / fixed wheel bikes for the last 6months now.

IMO single speed bikes work because they are more efficient. The increased efficiency comes partly from the lack of rear mech and partly from the decreased weight.

I did a highly un-scientific test a few months ago to see just how my single speed measured up to my geared bikes.
http://redbikes.blogspot.com/2009/09/hill-climbing-fixed-wheel-vs-single.html

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Interesting test there Redbike, I know it's not scientific but it does show not a huge amount of difference between any of the bikes. The only thing that puts me off fixed is the lack of freewheel. But I do find my 3 speed very easy to get around on, that's geared 40/54/72 inches. Laden touring, or mountains, would probably need gears below 40 inches but I find the 40 covers everything I need.

Tynan

Veteran
no straight answers from the SS types I see

not dissing the SS but gears is quicker, having the range lets you crank on when a SS has run out of legs and accelerate when they're still winding up, I see loads of SS riders on my commute and not seen one yet I didn't pass as the speed increased

of course a good rider rides faster/better but all things equal, gears wins, those TDF types seem to like gears for some reason

Debian

I really can't see how a SS can possibly be faster than a geared bike, all other things being equal. If SS was faster and more efficient wouldn't all the pro racing teams be using them? :girl:

colinr

Don't forget that fixed hubs are infused with the magic flywheel effect :girl:

I rode fixed all last year, easy enough around Norfolk but it was a struggle keeping up with geared riders on the flat and they absolutely destroyed me downhill. Love it for commuting, have picked up something geared for the weekends though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They are not... however a SS rider can be faster then a geared rider.

Debian said:
I really can't see how a SS can possibly be faster than a geared bike, all other things being equal. If SS was faster and more efficient wouldn't all the pro racing teams be using them? :girl:

RedBike

Debian said:

£200/£300 will buy you a new reasonably light-weight single speed bike.
Now compare that to what you get for your money in terms of a new geared bike. Provided we're not talking about the alps here you could well find the lighter more efficient single speed bike is quicker up the hills than the heavier geared bike.

You still get a lot of people time trialling on fixed wheeled bikes because on the right course the increased efficiency of a fixie does out-weigh the advantages of gears.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I think you're missing the point, it's more about selecting a bike for purpose. If you need something to do everything then you'll probably need gears. If you are able to run a commute specific bike then low maintenance is a very attractive proposition. Everyone's going to be different in their requirements and what works for them. A year round commuter sporting a double or triple seems like expensive hard work to me.

SS, fixed or hub gears make perfect sense for commuting/workhorse duties, beyond that it's really a matter of preference.

RedBike

Debian said:
I'd like to see a SS'er climb the Col du Tourmalet :girl:

The tour-de-france did used to be ridden fixed wheel / single speed.

Even when gears did start to appear the speed of the riders didn't significantly increase.

Top Bottom