A statistic in waiting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickb

Guru
Total crap.

Yet another dull holier-than-thou video about something we all see every day. The van driver was the main culprit here: must-get-past-cyclist - idiot.

The OP even did a bit of dodgy undertaking prior to the cycle lane starting and didn't give the other guy much room as he went past him. Red mist descending by then was it?

Hmm, I don't see any dodgy undertaking going on. Lane splits into 2 lanes. As for not giving the guy much room, these camera are a bit weird when your getting closer to objects. Red mist, no. holier than thou, not really, my main concern is drivers perception of cyclists. If you don't like watching peoples videos it's simple, don't click on the link.

CotterPin

RLJing definitely a no-no. And at the very least I always think there is something totally inelegant about squashing up the inside of a vehicle - quite apart from the danger of the action. Like the OP my style would be sitting in the lane waiting to move forward, rather than trying to keep moving forward at all costs - a trait displayed by both the other cyclist and the WVM.

nickb

Guru
Eat MY Dust said:
my main concern is drivers perception of cyclists.
And posting videos, for the entire world to see, of people going about their daily commute (without their permission, I assume) in an arrogant attempt to humiliate them, serves that purpose does it? You're just a sad vigilante.

Eat MY Dust said:
If you don't like watching peoples videos it's simple, don't click on the link.
If you'd advertised it as 'nothing to see here', I wouldn't have bothered. You tempted me with the false advertising into thinking I was going to see something shocking. I see stuff like this every day - it's how most people cycle sadly. Rather than just slyly filming them and posting them on YouTube, have you thought about doing something constructive to change things? Probably not, you rather get smug satisfaction by entertaining a small clique on this forum.

D-Rider

My initial thoughts are that the traffic was very slow moving (start/stop) in a fairly narrow stretch and that the cyclist would have been better staying in the traffic stream (as per EMD's positioning) than squeezing through in a situation where the traffic is only going to catch him again seconds later.

By filtering like in this manner and opting out of the main traffic stream he's only inviting the subsequent overtakes from WVM.

Filtering up to the lights isn't as bad since that presents an opportunity to progress.... although I probably wouldn't have bothered since, again, it's tight and as it's only a couple of vehicles from the lights I'd know that I'd get through at the next green.

Of course your thought process is slightly different if you're a RLJer.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
nickb said:
Rather than just slyly filming them and posting them on YouTube, have you thought about doing something constructive to change things? Probably not, you rather get smug satisfaction by entertaining a small clique on this forum.
Such as??? Try talking to these types of people (RLJ , bad road positioning etc.) and see how far it generally gets you... :evil:

jimboalee

Trust me, this type of thing happens thousands of times every day.
It will happen to me later this afternoon.
I will ride along about two feet from the kerb and a car or van will overtake me. Then they will slow and I will go past them. Then the whole thing repeats.

What I noticed after watching that video for the third time was there were no blowing of horns.

Just another day-in-the-life.

nickb said:
And posting videos, for the entire world to see, of people going about their daily commute (without their permission, I assume) in an arrogant attempt to humiliate them, serves that purpose does it? You're just a sad vigilante.

If you'd advertised it as 'nothing to see here', I wouldn't have bothered. You tempted me with the false advertising into thinking I was going to see something shocking. I see stuff like this every day - it's how most people cycle sadly. Rather than just slyly filming them and posting them on YouTube, have you thought about doing something constructive to change things? Probably not, you rather get smug satisfaction by entertaining a small clique on this forum.

I'm sorry that this is how you see it. I have a lot of none cyclist friends who enjoy my vids, I suppose it takes all sorts.

BTW I don't need "permission".

jimboalee

To be honest, WVM did some considerate driving. He kept a good distance from the kerb because he could see cyclists ahead and behind. He drove in the hatches to stay out of the way. He signalled in and out when he passed.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Look at the first few seconds of the video and where are you? On the centre line, very close to a bus and on a blind bend – very sensible positioning, isn’t it?
On undertaking, you said:-
Eat MY Dust said:
It's just something I don't like and wouldn't do myself.
Fast forward to 1:24 and what do we see you doing? Undertaking!
Fast forward to 1:32 when you overtook the cyclist, you never gave him much room, did you?

nickb

Guru
mr_hippo said:
Fast forward to 1:32 when you overtook the cyclist, you never gave him much room, did you?
Exactly my point above. The OP doesn't agree - I think it's called 'ego lock'.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
mr_hippo said:
Look at the first few seconds of the video and where are you? On the centre line, very close to a bus and on a blind bend – very sensible positioning, isn’t it?

I'd say so, he can then see as far round the corner as is required. He wasn't overtaking so it seems like a good position to me. What's your issue with it? :smile:

mr_hippo said:

C'mon now Hippo, if you read what I wrote I stated that I don't undertake cyclists.

Like I've already said the camera gives a strange perspective when you get close to objects. I think it's becuase the lense is set up for a wider picture.

Top Bottom