A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm the kid who cross stitched their binca square to their own skirt. I got reasonably handy with a sewing machine at one point - easily up to the standard for running up curtains, wall-hanging pocket tidies (which were my default 2nd or 3rd birthday present for smalls for a good few years) and plausible theatre costumes that would (probably) last until the last curtain call.

I've never mastered knitting - back in primary the school caretaker taught all the juniors how to, I was her one and only failure. She even taught herself to knit left handed in case that helped. It didn't... so these days I buy the yarn but outsource the actual skilled work to my (used to be a school caretaker) mam. There's a fair few people in the world who have been the recipient of a Granny Annie knitted special - matinee jackets for newborns and wooly sox for special people and occasions. I've taken a pair of hand-knitted socks to three separate gigs as reverse-merch presents for the artist...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I wouldn't mind having a go at knitting. I need to give up smoking but half my addiction is the doing something with my hands bit... so i need to keep them occupied. I've thought about origami but all i'd get at the end of that is countless tiny dragons. At least with knitting i'd have a hat or something.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I mainly crochet, in fact im doing it now on the train home. I do it on all my commutes. Mostly blankets and scarves.

I also sew, but not clothes, make stuff from glass using the copperfoil method, restore furniture, wood carve, felt, spin wool, embroider, cross stitch, paint using watercolour to name but a few things. I like to have a go at most crafts but I can't knit. I rarely follow patterns preferring to bespoke stuff.

I will post some pictures later.

Mrs Dave is a can’t knit crocheter. She’s tried loads of times

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Here are a couple of glass bits

DBF2ADCB-2C6A-46FB-AA3D-90E918B6CF1E.jpeg
E50EF630-D2DC-4254-89B3-220BF825A456.jpeg

The bottom one is how to get rid of offcuts!

I wouldn't mind having a go at knitting. I need to give up smoking but half my addiction is the doing something with my hands bit... so i need to keep them occupied. I've thought about origami but all i'd get at the end of that is countless tiny dragons. At least with knitting i'd have a hat or something.
Buy a ball of wool and a pair of needles and hit youtube :okay:

This is what I started making before the lurgy hit last Friday. Managed to finish the gnome below just before fortunately
20171212_025823.jpg
20171208_221401.jpg
:smile:

Siclo

Veteran
Mum taught me knitting, crochet, tapestry and embroidery, she's still very keen. I've recently learnt it's important to pay attention during conversations about her crafts otherwise you spend days wondering what 'salted caramel robins' are when she's actually been making felted Christmas robins.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I have no skills myself, I don't have it anymore but my late Gran knitted me a jumper with Tony the Tiger from the Frosties ad when I was kid that was the envy of everyone in my class at school.

I am totally addicted to the series 'Handmade' on BBC4, showing masters of various crafts at work, its one of my favourite programmes. The last series was 'Handmade on the silk road' and got me hooked. That series does'nt seem to be available on iplayer but is worth seeking out if possible. The making of the samurai sword, kimono, and the potter with a multi stage over that went up a hill really stood out. I marvelled at the lack of measuring, experts just going on experience, look and feel, but producing amazing things of all kinds, I could watch that stuff all day.

The current series is 'Handmade in Mexico' and that is on iplayer. The one the other week showed a young Zapotec woman making a traditional Huipil that was amazing, she was so fast and it still took months, but the end results were dazzling, definitely worth a watch. And I'll be popping back here to marvel at your creations.

Top Bottom