A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to love knitting but managed to lose all my knitting needles and wool in my last house move. This weekend, I am off to Norwich and will get new needles and wool while there. I know where the shops are there, Lincoln is still a foreign place to me.
My BF sews and is very good at it. He has this all singing and dancing sewing machine that does everything bar the washing up.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I used to love knitting but managed to lose all my knitting needles and wool in my last house move. This weekend, I am off to Norwich and will get new needles and wool while there. I know where the shops are there, Lincoln is still a foreign place to me.
My BF sews and is very good at it. He has this all singing and dancing sewing machine that does everything bar the washing up.

I have 2 sewing machines. One is electric and i hate it. The other one is an old singer black and gold sewing machine. No motor. Its one that you turn the handle. Made around 1930. I absolutely love it. I would never part with it. I just love the old engineering aspect to if and how it just works so well, never goes wrong. A beautiful machine. Used lots lf times to make curtains etc. Cost me the grand sum of £20 about 30 plus years ago.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a hardanger kit that I was given as a housewarming present 25 years ago - it's been on the go a long time.

And I started a proggy mat at a workshop in 2000. That has turned out to be not one of my favourite crafts.

Some things have taken a long time just because of their size.
I loved rug making, I made 3 as a kid admittedly from kits. Mums still got one and so have I but it's somewhere in the attic cos Maz doesn't like it.

She has even told me to "Throw that old 70s rug away" :ohmy:

Another thing my mam used to make was rugs. Using a special matting, short bits of wool and some sort of tool. You followed the pattern on the rug backing.
Anyone remember those?
I make rugs too. Although mine are done with long bits of wool that get hooked through (bit like a looped sewing stitch). Sounds like the ones your mum did were latch/proddy rugs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Another thing my mam used to make was rugs. Using a special matting, short bits of wool and some sort of tool. You followed the pattern on the rug backing.
Anyone remember those?
Have you got me on 'ignore' :laugh:

I loved rug making, I made 3 as a kid admittedly from kits. Mums still got one and so have I but it's somewhere in the attic cos Maz doesn't like it.

She has even told me to "Throw that old 70s rug away" :ohmy:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
IMG_20171111_094738_943.jpg
20171105_193052.jpg
IMG_20170726_172526_008.jpg
Some of my blankets.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I make the odd mosaic, I'm not exactly prolific as they take ages to do, but when the muses are with me, I do enjoy the whole process. Particularly because you never really know what it looks like until you've grouted it and there's a ta da moment when you're wiping the excess grout off when it really comes to light.

The first I ever did. Technically there are a couple of things wrong with it, but it looks great when viewed at a distance (see later photo).
First mosaic.JPG

Another fish one, mosaics lend themselves well to fish and water and the blues and greens are the cheapest tiles (since they are used in swimming pools).
Jumping fish.JPG

Both in situ
20171215_113807.jpg

And a fireguard
20171215_112643.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I make the odd mosaic, I'm not exactly prolific as they take ages to do, but when the muses are with me, I do enjoy the whole process. Particularly because you never really know what it looks like until you've grouted it and there's a ta da moment when you're wiping the excess grout off when it really comes to light.

The first I ever did. Technically there are a couple of things wrong with it, but it looks great when viewed at a distance (see later photo).
View attachment 387369

Another fish one, mosaics lend themselves well to fish and water and the blues and greens are the cheapest tiles (since they are used in swimming pools).
View attachment 387373

Both in situ
View attachment 387376

And a fireguard
View attachment 387375

Those are fabulous. I love them.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Those are fabulous. I love them.
Thankyou very much, I think so too!

This is a favourite of mine, it's an idea out of a book, trying to recreate the way fishmongers used to display their wares on a bed of ice (the mirror tiles). It's a table top and I'm looking for a base to put it on. I have a picture in my mind of what I want and saw a base in an antique shop a couple of years ago, but stupidly didn't buy it and haven't seen one since.
Fish table.JPG

My interest in mosaics started when I saw an advert in a paper for a tile shop. I cut out the picture and carried it round for years in my wallet, in fact I still do. Eventually I copied the design onto some wood and off I went.
20171215_124056.jpg

Top Bottom