A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a similar style Singer - bought a while back. It's now clean and oiled and has a new bobbin winder rubber. View attachment 387549

That is similar to mine with all the bling bling gold.

The old machines are beautiful, but not that rare. I inherited my mother's Singer, which was stored hanging upside down in an oak cabinet that unfolded like origami to become a work table, but it took up too much room and wasn't that useful, so I gave it away. I now have a cheap and cheerful Toyota machine that does loads of different stitches, and is light and small.
Yep. Lots of them around as they are bombproof.
Mine only does straight stitch but is there if we have a power cut. My main machine is a Brother.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
First bit of stitching in ages so excuse the roughness of it. This is a prototype sheath for the little knife shown next to it. That blade is under two inches but already sharp. I haven't sharpened it at all and have just managed to cut myself on it. I am fairly sure this sheath is a failed prototype and I have already started on the MK II version.

Stitching is the traditional saddle stitch. This uses two needles that pass each other going through each hole in opposite directions. This is is very strong and means if the thread was parted, it does not unravel.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

welsh dragon

First bit of stitching in ages so excuse the roughness of it. This is a prototype sheath for the little knife shown next to it. That blade is under two inches but already sharp. I haven't sharpened it at all and have just managed to cut myself on it. I am fairly sure this sheath is a failed prototype and I have already started on the MK II version.

Stitching is the traditional saddle stitch. This uses two needles that pass each other going through each hole in opposite directions. Mathis is very strong and means if the thread was parted, it does not unravel.

View attachment 387675

Is that quite hard on the hands?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It can be. You use a pricking iron and hammer to mark/make the holes. That will go through two layers of 3-4mm leather and then you're supposed to use an awl on the final layer. I struggle getting the awl holes to line up so try to use the iron again. I also use a small pair of pliers.
The Ltd Edition Brooks Swallow I own is stiched along the bottom edge by a 'Master Saddler' a feature missing on the standard Swallow Titanium that Brooks now sell.

0307.jpg

Brooks Swallow

DSCN0134.JPG

My 2004 Brooks Swallow Ltd Edition (Titanium)

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 5082896, member: 9609"]Does anyone know much about using one of these ? It has been in the attic for years, it seems to work and I have got it all oiled up - would love to be acble to use it properly.
Going by its weight it is easy to understand that it was made by a company more famous for Tanks and War Ships - beautiful piece on engineering

View attachment 387547 [/QUOTE]

They're fairly straightforward to use. Looks like you've got it threaded at the top. You'll need a bobbin of thread in the bottom below the needle. That's a bobbin winder on the right. Looks like you can change the stitch length with the guage above the bobbin winder.

Once it's threaded, pop some material in below the needle, drop the foot so the material is clamped in place and turn the handle to sew.

You can probably find a manual for it if you google.

welsh dragon

My singer has a little manual that goes with it and a little screwdriver as well. Your description @annedonnelly of how it works is about right. :okay:. When you put the bobbin in the bottom, turn the handle a couple of times. That should bring thread up. Pull some thread out and your ready to go.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My singer has a little manual that goes with it and a little screwdriver as well. Your description @annedonnelly of how it works is about right. :okay:. When you put the bobbin in the bottom, turn the handle a couple of times. That should bring thread up. Pull some thread out and your ready to go.

I've got all sorts of extras for my Singer too - but it's a 1960's electric one. I've got a German hand-cranked machine that is much older - about 1900 - but I've never threaded it up. That one's just for looking at :smile:

Top Bottom