A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I've got a German hand-cranked machine that is much older - about 1900
I have a Frister & Rossman pre WW1 machine and use it for bodging up all sorts of things for various exploits that cannot be obtained in shops. Mittens for the arctic, pogies for bikes on Scandinavian winter trips, adding reflective strips to jackets for night riding, that sort of thing. Only does straight stitching though, which is a shame as I'd like to add buttom noles to some bits.
I find it can punch through the thickest material but a cheap Brother we had just wasn't up to the job so we gave it away. We also inherited a Bosch machine that must have cost a fortune donkey's years ago, but I'm not allowed to use that one.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I have a Frister & Rossman pre WW1 machine ...

That's the same as mine - Frister & Rossman - with pretty decals :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I notice that your paint is cracking around the top of the seat stays just like my Carlton.
It happens to most of the frames built with that 'cap' on the seat stays and don't forget it was probably built in the same factory but certainly by the same workforce (it's a W serial No. 531c Reynolds frame)

Prior to me crippling myself I had plans to have it re-stoved at Mercian in Derby and to that end I'd visited the shop, unfortunately I fell in love with their Audax special 'light tourer' so continued to save money and was just about to commission a custom one in 753 when I bust the leg. The £1,000 or so I had in my 'bike build' account ended up getting spent on the Trike.

Tim Hall

IMG_20171218_184112265.jpg

Paracord watch strap I made a couple of years ago. Trouble is, the watch battery has gone flat and it'll be a bit of s challenge to get the back off now, what with it being covered by strands of paracord.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 387709
Paracord watch strap I made a couple of years ago. Trouble is, the watch battery has gone flat and it'll be a bit of s challenge to get the back off now, what with it being covered by strands of paracord.
Take one of the pins out, you don't need to remove the pin from the strap but one end has a shoulder that allows you to release the spring pressure that keeps it in the little hole then moving it across releases the other end.

Here's my Singer 99k - 1941 vintage with a Hillman electric motor and all the gubbins. Cost me the grand total of zilch as it was a skip rescue.

IMG_2193_small.jpg

I also have a 1960s Pfaff, a 1970s industrial Singer and several hand crank sewing machines (Singer & Hexagon), the latter date between 1890 and 1920. And they all work. :smile:

I sew cat show drapes - you can just about see some ultramarine satin on the right of the above picture. This is essentially curtain & cushion making in miniature. Here are some of the drapes that I've made...

IMG_2648_small.jpg

IMG_3335_small.jpg

IMG_3946_small.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Not sewing as such but, these do involve thread and a lot of concentration!

image.jpeg

It is a size 12 (around 1cm) Invicta. All the stuff associated with making these is another reason we need a larger house! Also, since they were small, the twins learned to collect any feathers they find on country (and town) walks. The wings on that one came from a feather found on a walk. I suppose it is a result of being a glasses wearer for distance stuff, I can still tie these things down to a size 18 or so without magnification of any sort at my advancing age!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
@Hugh Manatee
Back when I was a mere youth I used to go fly fishing at Hampton Court. I tried to tie my own lures but I was never successful. It's a great art.

I sort of knew I was either a rubbish fly fisherman or was rubbish at fly tying. A friend tells me the fish sometimes fight each other to eat the flies I give him. A total beginner put one of my Clan Chief flies on in desperation. He caught five in the last hour he was there! I was on a two year blank. I did get a few last time out though!

Top Bottom