A very close overtake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You should take a central position when going through the traffic island.
Also you should look behind before coming up to it. Then you can see this coming and then slow down and fit in behind them.

Femto

Yeah that's something I do. The looking behind thing. If there is someone there, I try and catch eye contact. People generally cool it if that happens. If I'm going through a pinch point, I move to the middle. it might hack some people off but I'd rather be in one piece. The Audi driver was a cock for overtaking by a traffic island.

Paul_L

Über Member
i wonder how many of these islands or refuges have contributed towards accidents. Bizarre that they are there to provide safety to pedestrians as well as traffic calming, but i wonder if they have had a reverse effect?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
i wonder how many of these islands or refuges have contributed towards accidents. Bizarre that they are there to provide safety to pedestrians as well as traffic calming, but i wonder if they have had a reverse effect?

They are known for using cyclists as mobile traffic calming. Or so one council road "safety" engineer claimed. Cunobelin might know more detail...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Agree about the poor road positioning (sorry) contributing to the problem.... but this doesn't excuse the idiot in the Audi. No need to overtake there. Muppet driver.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You should take a central position when going through the traffic island.
Also you should look behind before coming up to it. Then you can see this coming and then slow down and fit in behind them.

Agree about the poor road positioning (sorry) contributing to the problem.... but this doesn't excuse the idiot in the Audi. No need to overtake there. Muppet driver.

You're absolutely right. I haven't got that skill nailed yet, it makes me nervous.

BSRU

A Human Being
You're absolutely right. I haven't got that skill nailed yet, it makes me nervous.
I am sometimes nervous about doing it when I see a driver who is close behind and coming at speed. You cannot guarantee they are paying enough attention so sometimes I have decide between a potential close pass or potentially being rear ended.

Ben1982

You'll be surprised... when I started doing it after reading about it, I felt A LOT safer. Granted some do still try it, and some of those you get the semi-guilty satisfaction of them having to break hard when they realise they are running out of road to actually get past you.

Give it a try and you'll notice a big difference in the way you're treated :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I am sometimes nervous about doing it when I see a driver who is close behind and coming at speed. You cannot guarantee they are paying enough attention so sometimes I have decide between a potential close pass or potentially being rear ended.
If I think they are not going to stop I just slow down. I would rather not be rear ended or squashed

BSRU

A Human Being
If I think they are not going to stop I just slow down. I would rather not be rear ended or squashed
That's another option.
Since I have started to ride with my 400R turned on even in the daytime, cars back off if I move into primary.

Chrisc

Guru
I position myself to block as suggested and today the guy waiting behind pulled alongside afterwards with his passenger window down and literally screamed at me to "get out of his f*****g way". After questioning his legitimacy, swapping hand signals and more anglo saxon terminology I invited him to stop for a chat and some free dental work which he declined. I know I shouldn't have gone off on one but ffs! No need.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Much better since the advice.

I now check behind when I'm about 200m from the pinch and try and eyeball the driver. Then when about 100m from the pinch I check behind again and do a sort of half turn right signal, but more of a "thankyou" wave and pull into the middle, or near the middle.

Then I get back over to the left as soon as I can after the pinch, and give the driver a proper thankyou wave.

Last couple of days I've had no close passes, no aggro. One driver looked like he was going to try and squeeze through, but thought better of it at my second look behind. He didn't seem bothered though.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

They are known for using cyclists as mobile traffic calming. Or so one council road "safety" engineer claimed. Cunobelin might know more detail...

TRL report 549 has some good advice, it doesn't sound like your 'safety' engineer hasn't read it :angry:

highway designs that deliberately require cyclists to
obstruct traffic in order to produce a traffic calming
effect should be avoided as they are likely to cause
particular frustration to drivers;

Top Bottom