A week without a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As far as I'm concerned, the Australia experience tells us most of what we need to know to make an informed decision.
When they introduced the mandatory helmet law, 3 things happened:
  1. The proportion of cyclists wearing a helmet increased to the vast majority
  2. The number of people regularly cycling decreased by 1/3rd
  3. The proportion of cyclists admitted to hospital with a head injury remained virtually unchanged
So we can conclude that helmets do not make a statistically significant difference as to whether you will receive a head injury requiring hospital treatment.

In my experience most people have no idea what their "standard" cycle helmet is rated to. @Racing roadkill for example does not appear to wear a typical cycle helmet, it would be interesting to know why, there's another poster (who's name escapes me I'm sorry) that wears a full faced helmet. I'm sure there are others, but each of them appears to have made a decision that a typical cycle helmet does not afford them sufficient protection which personally I find interesting especially considering the stance which @Racing roadkill appears to have.

image.jpg

That's why I take my stance. Fracture at the base of the skull, fracture on the top, a couple of nasty clots, and a year out. It's down to the skill of the medical teams that I'm still here. I wouldn't bother with the sort of lid, most people consider to be a 'cycle helmet'. If you hit anything more solid than a mattress, it probably wouldn't help. Here's my current lid

image.jpg

It took a whack from a Berlingo mirror the other week, so I'm replacing it with this.

image.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
View attachment 62019

That's why I take my stance. Fracture at the base of the skull, fracture on the top, a couple of nasty clots, and a year out. It's down to the skill of the medical teams that I'm still here. I wouldn't bother with the sort of lid, most people consider to be a 'cycle helmet'. If you hit anything more solid than a mattress, it probably wouldn't help. Here's my current lid

View attachment 62020

It took a whack from a Berlingo mirror the other week, so I'm replacing it with this.

View attachment 62022

Hey, even if they don't help much, you can pretend you are in Tron, which can only be a good thing!
(how is the heat with those, out of interest)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
View attachment 62019

View attachment 62020

View attachment 62022

And that's all fine, truly. You wear a helmet for your stated reasons and very few people will criticise that (certainly not me). But please don't try to force everyone else to conform and then throw a strop when folk disagree. You made your choice, allow me to make mine.

GC

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
View attachment 62019

View attachment 62020

View attachment 62022

I was going to ask if you felt that should compulsion be introduced you would like to see the type of helmet you wear be enforced or if people would have an option on helmet type..........however.........

Make that 18.
Awesome :laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
And that's all fine, truly. You wear a helmet for your stated reasons and very few people will criticise that (certainly not me). But please don't try to force everyone else to conform and then throw a strop when folk disagree. You made your choice, allow me to make mine.

GC
This.
Particularly when the zeal for compulsory helmet wearing would have the opposite effect to that which is intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom