A week without a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
While you lot are arguing about minuscule things, the more important life decisions are passing you by such as should I buy a cap with stripe or without, and then there is the size to consider, colour, waterproof or not..............

Don't forget the valve cap dilemma. Caps or not? What colour? Do they have to match? :smile:

Don't forget the valve cap dilemma. Caps or not? What colour? Do they have to match? :smile:
The sooner mismatched valve caps are made illegal the better, and before anyone tries to argue otherwise I AM RIGHT (the use of large block capitals makes me so).

Hey, even if they don't help much, you can pretend you are in Tron, which can only be a good thing!
(how is the heat with those, out of interest)

The venting on the warp sprint is really clever and most effective. The speed time venting is even better. They are superb bits of kit. I value my head, so the cost is totally unimportant.

€400?! Gadz!

Indeed :ohmy:You get what you pay for however. The warp sprint took a hard whack from 2 and a bit tonnes of car, it appears to be fine, except for a mark where the mirror hit it, but once it's done it's job, it's better to be safe than sorry, and replace it. I'll probably still use it for short runs and tootling about, the speed time will be the lid for proper rides.
:thumbsup:

AndyRM

XOXO
Indeed :ohmy:You get what you pay for however. The warp sprint took a hard whack from 2 and a bit tonnes of car, it appears to be fine, except for a mark where the mirror hit it, but once it's done it's job, it's better to be safe than sorry, and replace it. I'll probably still use it for short runs and tootling about, the speed time will be the lid for proper rides.

Going back to what @glasgowcyclist said, these helmets conform to the same safety standard as the £10 effort from Uncle Mike's Emporium of Tat. What does your extra £390 get you? Is there a scale within the standard or something?

Going back to what @glasgowcyclist said, these helmets conform to the same safety standard as the £10 effort from Uncle Mike's Emporium of Tat. What does your extra £390 get you? Is there a scale within the standard or something?

It's only tested to the minimum standard, because that's all they feel is necessary. These lids are designed to encase your whole head in aero grade Carbon fibre. I reckon they'll survive more than the cheapo numbers, just a hunch, who knows, maybe a 20 quid piece of thermo formed plastic which only sits on top of your head would suffice, or not.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It's only tested to the minimum standard, because that's all they feel is necessary. These lids are designed to encase your whole head in aero grade Carbon fibre. I reckon they'll survive more than the cheapo numbers, just a hunch, who knows, maybe a 20 quid piece of thermo formed plastic which only sits on top of your head would suffice, or not.
Well there's nothing like an informed decision and this is.............ah forget it.

AndyRM

XOXO

Fair enough. Personally though, I'm not sure I'd be trusting something I had a hunch about, far less spending €400 on it.

When I had an accident and put my head through a window the helmet looked fine, but I binned it. What difference does the type of ride you are doing make as to whether the helmet will or will not work? Surely if it is junk, it is junk? Regardless as to whether you are on a short journey or a "proper" ride?

How does aero grade carbon fibre protect your head if you fall off your bike? Just curious as I "only" have a helmet that is EPS. I know how they absorb the damage, if the helmet has no shock absorbing qualities, would it only be any good for stopping things penetrating the shell?

Sorry - but to work a helmet need a material that absorbs energy.

Encasing one's head in carbon fibre is a red herring if the inner material will not absorb the energy.

Ironically the Casco Carbon Warp is not legal in Australia where helmets ARE compulsory!

Like many countries the Aussies do not recognise EN1078 and use their own standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom