A week without a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

You misunderstood. There are stats for everyone treated at A&E. These can show you how many cyclists are treated for head injuries.
100% of helmeted cyclists who reach A&E with any head impact are told it saved their life, unless of course it didn't. 100% of unhelmeted cyclists who arrive at A&E are told off for not wearing one, irrespective of their injuries.
If you look up the numbers you can do the sums.

That's a good effort , like I said his quote was based on his perceived idea that to many people believe that a helmet saved their life , what you said is just laughable .

Dan B

Disengaged member
Me too. I find a suit works really well for commuting.
Can't really see the point there, I'd only have to change into shorts & t shirt when I arrive at work anyway

Reactions: srw
U

User6179

..... But as Eddy helpfully pointed out there are higher standards

All the countries that refuse to recognise the feeble and worthless EN1078 have them

Ironically the wearer seems totally unaware of which tests this helmet has passed including some of them

Do you think Snell helmets would save lives ?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Why isn't there a decent helmet out there??
I used to wear one, but stopped a couple of Years ago after reading all the links on here.
I'd like to wear one, surely it can't be that difficult to design something that would offer demonstrable impact protection?

Incidentally, I do fully understand Racingroadkill's motivation for trying to find the best protection he can after such a horrendous incident, I think I'd do exactly the same.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
U

User6179

So - no evidence to back up your claim. Quelle surprise...

No just that I noticed if you are called out on something and obviously wrong you just ignore the post or argue something else ( straw man ) so no point really to engage with you .
The next time you are wrong will be the first time Eh

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Many thanks to all who posted a link to http://www.cyclehelmets.org/0.html - I have begun reading some of the material and absorbing the information in much the same way as (most?) helmets apparently don't absorb impact in most accidents. I had regretted starting this threat because of the reaction from the likes of Rr (Now ignored. Ahh, it's as if I've walked to the other side of the bar.), but that link has made it wroth while. Whilst I had always been in the anti-compulsion camp, it's now nice to be armed with good arguments, other than gut feeling.

Oh, I'm still noticing a general change in other road users when in my vicinity - I'm getting more wider passes (even from White Van Man) and more hesitation (presumably to ensure a safe gap) before overtaking. Sure, there's still numpties having a go because of bad road craft, but their numbers have thinned out.

Now that your pony tail is more visible it is obviously frightening the traffic away Jon :thumbsup:

Tin Pot

Guru
It's only tested to the minimum standard, because that's all they feel is necessary. These lids are designed to encase your whole head in aero grade Carbon fibre. I reckon they'll survive more than the cheapo numbers, just a hunch, who knows, maybe a 20 quid piece of thermo formed plastic which only sits on top of your head would suffice, or not.
Indeed.

Compliance to standards is not security.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Here's a question,
How do you "helmet haters" (sorry) get on with "British cycling federation" run events, ie I believe the wearing of a helmet is mandatory? Or at least it was on the last sportive I did.
Do you simply not participate in these events or do you reluctantly wear a helmet?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Here's a question,
How do you "helmet haters" (sorry) get on with "British cycling federation" run events, ie I believe the wearing of a helmet is mandatory? Or at least it was on the last sportive I did.
Do you simply not participate in these events or do you reluctantly wear a helmet?

If it's something I really want to do, like the RideLondon, then I'll reluctantly wear one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom