A week without a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Compliance to standards is not security.
Security by unverified claim is not really security either though. The merit of standards is that someone other than the manufacturer who is qualified to test the product has done so. So who has tested the tron helmet, and using what methodology, and what did they find?

Many thanks to all who posted a link to http://www.cyclehelmets.org/0.html - I have begun reading some of the material and absorbing the information in much the same way as (most?) helmets apparently don't absorb impact in most accidents. I had regretted starting this threat because of the reaction from the likes of Rr (Now ignored. Ahh, it's as if I've walked to the other side of the bar.), but that link has made it wroth while. Whilst I had always been in the anti-compulsion camp, it's now nice to be armed with good arguments, other than gut feeling.

Oh, I'm still noticing a general change in other road users when in my vicinity - I'm getting more wider passes (even from White Van Man) and more hesitation (presumably to ensure a safe gap) before overtaking. Sure, there's still numpties having a go because of bad road craft, but their numbers have thinned out.

You're a fool. And please refrain from mentioning me in any of your ill informed, pointless ramblings. That's very irritating.

Last edited:
U

User6179

You can always do this
b0c8d749777743cb9fc9160c163bc4bd.jpg

After all no one really believes that snag points are potentially dangerous, there's no evidence to prove it.

Nearly bit as well :laugh:

I apply the baseball bat logic to these idiotic helmet refusenik arguments ( and there are quite a few on this thread I would love to try this out on) who are identifiable by their presence on my expanding ignore list. If I was in a pillow fight, it would be far easier to hit the opponent in the face with a baseball bat, because the baseball bat is designed to be swung through the air, and to hit a relatively soft object. It's a bit of an inconvenience to use a floppy, soft pillow. There have been no studies done, and there is no 'evidence' to show that a baseball bat to the face will have any more of a detrimental effect, than a pillow to the face. There is NO EVIDENCE AT ALL. Ergo, I hypothesise that it is far better to hit someone in the face with a baseball bat, in a pillow fight, than a pillow.

How is he a fool? You said up thread that you don't trust standard helmets, so why is it foolish to stop wearing one?
Mark Twain said "it's better to keep your mouth closed, and let people think you are a fool, than to open it, and remove all doubt". You and everyone else on my expanding list of the 'special' should really take heed. This thread is superb at identifying the one's I wish to avoid at all cost, and there is an ignore function ( which is a very welcome feature).

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't think that there are helmet haters. Just people who'd rather not wear one.

And it's dead easy to avoid BC events. Go CTT or CTC. It's more difficult to get a charity's insurers to take mandatory helmets out of their cover, but I've managed it twice.

I apply the baseball bat logic to these idiotic helmet refusenik arguments ( and there are quite a few on this thread I would love to try this out on) who are identifiable by their presence on my expanding ignore list. If I was in a pillow fight, it would be far easier to hit the opponent in the face with a baseball bat, because the baseball bat is designed to be swung through the air, and to hit a relatively soft object. It's a bit of an inconvenience to use a floppy, soft pillow. There have been no studies done, and there is no 'evidence' to show that a baseball bat to the face will have any more of a detrimental effect, than a pillow to the face. There is NO EVIDENCE AT ALL. Ergo, I hypothesise that it is far better to hit someone in the face with a baseball bat, in a pillow fight, than a pillow.
You're coming across as a teensy-weensy bit aggressive........

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here's a question,
How do you "helmet haters" (sorry) get on with "British cycling federation" run events, ie I believe the wearing of a helmet is mandatory? Or at least it was on the last sportive I did.
Do you simply not participate in these events or do you reluctantly wear a helmet?

I don't participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom