A welcome approach by WMP to cycle safety

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by glasgowcyclist, 9 Sep 2016.

Tags:
  1. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

When I read your post I thought you must be over-egging it. Then I clicked the link and read The Police Officers statement Which basically reads as ‘get cyclist’s off the road because they slow motorists down in heavily congested areas’. The farkwittery of people in public office is astounding.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2017
    growingvegetables, mjr and winjim like this.
  2. slowfen

slowfen Über Member

Somewhere else taking a more enlightened attitude (Not Cambridgeshire)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...e-catch-drivers-passing-too-close-to-cyclists

mjr and growingvegetables like this.
  3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

4. toffee

toffee Über Member

Seems a big about turn on their part.

5. mjr

6. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Well-Known Member

What are yellow star jackets? Also i have not seen any police cars recently in my area of the Thames Valley. All i've seen police related are the cycling PCSO's telling cyclists off for using the pavement.
    Was in town today and there was a police car in the middle of a road that's closed (probs stopping cyclists from going down there. But i've not seen any close passes and police doing anything recently.

7. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I remember several people being prosecuted a few years ago for taking the test for someone else

8. mjr

A derogatory name for hi viz cycling wear. There's pretty much no sound evidence it helps improve safety significantly (research suggests it's contrast that matters, so yellow would be a very silly choice out here among daffodils, tulips, rapeseed, sunflowers, corn and wheat) but it means cyclists can be identified easily even after parking up. Making outgroups wear specific markers is a key part of "othering" or making them a clear subculture that it's OK to criticise. It seems very dodgy to me, sociologically, and because there's no safety benefit, it has no place in evidence-led policing like operation close pass is meant to be.

dave r likes this.
  9. Is that a holocaust reference? If so, it's in the most appalling taste.

Edit: I obviously hadn't refreshed the page, so missed this
    It is a holocaust reference.

I cannot find words (that won't get me banned from this site) to express my reaction to this.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2018
    User45, User1252, winjim and 2 others like this.
  10. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

I don't see anything in that article about hi-viz cycling wear - only the legally required lights. And in answer to your later post - I will agree about contrast being important making darker clothing on bright days a better choice.

Milkfloat likes this.
  11. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

I would be very very wary of using a term like that. There is no equivalence.

12. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

Mod note:

@mjr; it seems fairly clear that you do mean the term in the way that @jefmcg suggests. This is in very poor taste and goes against the spirit of the forum rules and guidelines

A search shows me that you are the only person who has used this term on the site. Please do not use it again.

13. Randombiker9

Ok. . I always have a hi viz/relfective gloves and helmet cover on but i only wear my hi-viz/reflective vest if it's dawn dusk or dark. But lights are personally more important i think.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2018
  14. No. Not "exactly". MJR is saying that cops suggesting Hi-viz is the same as Nazis/Occupying forces making Jews wear the star of david. Do not agree with him, unless you think that is true - unless you believe being carted off to a death camp is in your immediate future.

Also Godwin's Law.

15. Randombiker9

I wasn't agreeing or dissagreeing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice