A welcome approach by WMP to cycle safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

When I read your post I thought you must be over-egging it. Then I clicked the link and read The Police Officers statement Which basically reads as ‘get cyclist’s off the road because they slow motorists down in heavily congested areas’. The farkwittery of people in public office is astounding.

Last edited:
Somewhere else taking a more enlightened attitude (Not Cambridgeshire)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...e-catch-drivers-passing-too-close-to-cyclists

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Randombiker9

From "your commute today"...

oSeems like Oxford's Thames Valley are using operation close pass as a Trojan Horse in order to bother cyclists about yellow star jackets. 402 cyclists stopped but no number given for motorists :sad:
What are yellow star jackets? Also i have not seen any police cars recently in my area of the Thames Valley. All i've seen police related are the cycling PCSO's telling cyclists off for using the pavement.
Was in town today and there was a police car in the middle of a road that's closed (probs stopping cyclists from going down there. But i've not seen any close passes and police doing anything recently.

D

Deleted member 1258

LMAO! Riding a pushbike to get a driving license.

I do believe some drivers bought their licenses off Ebay judging by the standard of their driving. Or their examiner was stoned.

I remember several people being prosecuted a few years ago for taking the test for someone else

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What are yellow star jackets?
A derogatory name for hi viz cycling wear. There's pretty much no sound evidence it helps improve safety significantly (research suggests it's contrast that matters, so yellow would be a very silly choice out here among daffodils, tulips, rapeseed, sunflowers, corn and wheat) but it means cyclists can be identified easily even after parking up. Making outgroups wear specific markers is a key part of "othering" or making them a clear subculture that it's OK to criticise. It seems very dodgy to me, sociologically, and because there's no safety benefit, it has no place in evidence-led policing like operation close pass is meant to be.

yellow star jackets
Is that a holocaust reference? If so, it's in the most appalling taste.

Edit: I obviously hadn't refreshed the page, so missed this
Making outgroups wear specific markers is a key part of "othering"

It is a holocaust reference.

I cannot find words (that won't get me banned from this site) to express my reaction to this.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
From "your commute today"...

Seems like Oxford's Thames Valley are using operation close pass as a Trojan Horse in order to bother cyclists about yellow star jackets. 402 cyclists stopped but no number given for motorists :sad:
I don't see anything in that article about hi-viz cycling wear - only the legally required lights. And in answer to your later post - I will agree about contrast being important making darker clothing on bright days a better choice.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A derogatory name for hi viz cycling wear. There's pretty much no sound evidence it helps improve safety significantly (research suggests it's contrast that matters, so yellow would be a very silly choice out here among daffodils, tulips, rapeseed, sunflowers, corn and wheat) but it means cyclists can be identified easily even after parking up. Making outgroups wear specific markers is a key part of "othering" or making them a clear subculture that it's OK to criticise. It seems very dodgy to me, sociologically, and because there's no safety benefit, it has no place in evidence-led policing like operation close pass is meant to be.
I would be very very wary of using a term like that. There is no equivalence.

Randombiker9

Ok. . I always have a hi viz/relfective gloves and helmet cover on but i only wear my hi-viz/reflective vest if it's dawn dusk or dark. But lights are personally more important i think.

Last edited:
Ok. Yeah exactly. I always have a hi viz/relfective gloves and helmet cover on but i only wear my hi-viz/reflective vest if it's dawn dusk or dark. But lights are personally more important i think.
No. Not "exactly". MJR is saying that cops suggesting Hi-viz is the same as Nazis/Occupying forces making Jews wear the star of david. Do not agree with him, unless you think that is true - unless you believe being carted off to a death camp is in your immediate future.

Also Godwin's Law.

Randombiker9

No. Not "exactly". MJR is saying that cops suggesting Hi-viz is the same as Nazis/Occupying forces making Jews wear the star of david. Do not agree with him, unless you think that is true - unless you believe being carted off to a death camp is in your immediate future.

Also Godwin's Law.
I wasn't agreeing or dissagreeing.

Top Bottom