A what would you do if you were me question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
As some of you may know at Halfords we run kids bike workshops, and over the years this has become my job. Not wanting to be overly modest I am very good at it and it's usually a lot of fun.
Recently however, I was passed over for a promotion to full time because it was a bike hut job, and went to someone with "more technical experience" than me.
Given that I was somewhat peed off, I decided to protest by opting for a "that's above my pay grade" approach to work. I flat out refused to do the last workshop, but nobody turned up anyway, but I haven't been able to wriggle out of this one.
My attempts to push the preparation off on to the bike team have been met with resistance and as a result nothing is ready and there will be a dozen brownies arriving at 6pm.
Usually I'd pack up all the goodie bags, organise all the kit, set up and do all the talking while my bike hut assistant puts his spanner where I tell him!
This time I think it's only fair that he, with his superior technical experience, be the one to do the bulk of the work.
So, question is - would you run around pulling it all together and deliver a workshop of your usual high standard, or sit back, do very little and watch it all go to pot.
I would give the wee "Brownies" a magic, fun workshop to remember :smile:
Don't lower your standards for anyone :thumbsdown:
When "the fun" is substituted with "technical expertise" the customers might not be so happy :angry:
It is pants not being appreciated but your day will come ^_^

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I wasn't suggesting for a minute that you were, however the Brownies leaders will have had DBS checks done, and will have had child protection & first response first aid training, whereas Halfords haven't given any of this a second thought, if something was to go wrong it will be you that goes before the beak to prove you haven't been negligible, if I were you I would have a quick look on the scouts training part of their website, there is interactive training on there that will give you a good idea of what should be done before and during an activity, what to look out for, for example what would you do if you suspected a child was being abused, and what constitutes abuse, also who do you report it to?
I reckon doing this for free is bonkers with no managerial support.
Halfords have given this thought - which is why the brownies bring their own supervising adults and are responsible for their own risk assessment.
I have been on safeguarding training and used to have the equivalent of the dbs but it has now lapsed, I'm very aware of what to do if I suspect a child is being abused and sadly have had to follow those procedures before, but in the context of a bike workshop I fail to see how that would be relevant.
Firestorm - the bikeability people have it covered, and I can't afford to qualify and try to get them to give me a job. I've spoken to the local council about such things before and they show zero interest.

Top Bottom