A whisky recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I can enjoy something a little peaty so long as it has (what I call) a sweet side to it. I just cannot stand full peaty/smokey whisky.

I assure you. the first time i had a laphroaig i almost died from smoke inhalation. I was not ready for it!

I am partial to lighter/sherried whiskies myself but being an impulsive spender means i have quite a mixed collection so dabble in both.

You might enjoy a Highland Park 12yo -- Its not as heavily peated and pretty easy to drink.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I bought a bottle of Caol Ila 18yo for a friend whose dad had died. £85 it cost!
He shared a glass with me over ice.
It was a peaty, smokey monster, like a liquid bonfire. 🤢

MntnMan62

Über Member
I bought a bottle of Caol Ila 18yo for a friend whose dad had died. £85 it cost!
He shared a glass with me over ice.
It was a peaty, smokey monster, like a liquid bonfire. 🤢

I love Caol Ila. A friend turned me onto it once and I loved how smooth it was yet still peaty and smokey. A little less so than Lagavulin but definitely a really good Islay scotch.

RoMeR

Über Member
Lidl do a blended Queen Margot at around £14, won a few awards. I prefer it to Grouse & the other popular blends.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Lidl do a blended Queen Margot at around £14, won a few awards. I prefer it to Grouse & the other popular blends.
Different taste buds eh. I just dont like the Queen Margot. I much prefer the Aldi bog standard Highland Earl.
Out of all the basic blended ones Grouse is my favourite.

RoMeR

Über Member
No one has mentioned Chivas Regal, IMO one of the best blended

MntnMan62

Über Member
No one has mentioned Chivas Regal, IMO one of the best blended

Funny you should mention Chivas. That's the first whiskey I ever tried and found I liked it. It was at a friends house party who happened to have a bottle. I drank it the entire night. Never bought a bottle for myself but it jump started me on my scotch journey.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Waitrose are doing Penderyn "Madera" for £25 or thereabouts. We paid £40+ for a bottle last year at their distillery, ditto for their Sherry version. Liked both and certainly good value for £26 and fair value for £46. I actively disliked a couple of their versions though.

PS Welsh not Scotch whisky, but pretty good in ky view
Picked up a bottle of Penderyn madeira in Tesco the other day when I was doing a very infrequent but very successful yellow-sticker raid. A bargain at £26 - had a few previously at that price, there are now 4 in my select but very limited cellar. Offer ends quite soon, I think, so grab them while you can. Highly recommended. Also currently on offer for £26.50 in Waitrose; worth the extra 50p to avoid the riff-raff, but the nearest big Waitrose is about 30km away, compared with 1/2km to Tesco!

Top Bottom