a23 Streatham to town, am I a wuss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

When I first started cycling I did a couple of weeks straight up the A23 from Greyhound Lane to Waterloo. But I found the A23 to be totally mental. Choke points included the bus stops by St Leonards Church, streatham Hill and Brixton was completely insane.

As a result I've wussed out and now pootle up Kings Avenue and join the A3 by Clapham north.

Am I being nesh, should I shave 5 mins and take the more direct route, or am I wise to avoid the A23?

Tynan

Veteran
hard to say without knowing it but with the right experience and technique I'd say any road in London is rideable barring the obvious ones that you;re banned from anyway

but whatever makes you feel safe and happy on at the end of the day

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'd honestly say I'd vary the route depending on how I feel.

Having suffered at the wheels of South London traffic for many a year I often have a quiet, maybe slightly longer version of my main routes.

Streatham, thru Brixton to Oval during rush hour/on a Friday or Saturday night is an utter nightmare.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
The Kings avenue is quite a nice road in comparison to the A23, the A3 can be very fast and dangerous to cyclists as well though.

Get some maps and hone your route down til you find a route that you feel as safe as you can be on, by then you will have a few routes to choose from up your sleeve and will be able to pick and choose to suit your mood.

DJ

Origamist

Legendary Member
I live in similar area to you and avoid the A23. I always use the A3 when heading into town and join it at Tooting Bec. I don't care that it's a longer route as I feel subjectively safer.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't see a problem taking a longer route to have a more enjoyable cycle ride - it isn't wussing out to choose a safer, more relaxing ride. I regularly avoid the Gloucester Road just because I would rather travel a bit further without having to endure the traffic lights, buses, cars parking/pulling out, and stop/go traffic - I don't think it would be in the same territory as the A23 (so that would make me more of a wuss:biggrin:).

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Were it not for living just off the A2(New Cross/Old Kent Road)I'd happily avoid cycling on it, especially during rush hour.
The traffic can be so heavy and impatient/unpredictable that it can almost negates the joys and benefits of cycling.

I work in South Norwood, Greenwich and Brixton, all my routes in avoid the main drags wherever possible.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I join the A23 at thorton heath, and cycle all the way up it to the oval during rush hour. Yeah it gets a bit busy in brixton and at some points in streatham. but it's the quickest way overall imo.. you can easily hit over 30mph down brixton hill, so that off sets the traffic in brixton imo.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

djtheglove said:
The Kings avenue is quite a nice road in comparison to the A23, the A3 can be very fast and dangerous to cyclists as well though.

Get some maps and hone your route down til you find a route that you feel as safe as you can be on, by then you will have a few routes to choose from up your sleeve and will be able to pick and choose to suit your mood.

DJ
This is certainly my preferred round, an it has lovely grassy verges on which to fix punctures (grrrr). I just find Streatham high road to be a bit too much to bear when I've just woken up, although some fun road works at the top of kings avenue are nicely snarling it up.

LOGAN 5

tdr1nka said:
I'd honestly say I'd vary the route depending on how I feel.

Having suffered at the wheels of South London traffic for many a year I often have a quiet, maybe slightly longer version of my main routes.

Streatham, thru Brixton to Oval during rush hour/on a Friday or Saturday night is an utter nightmare.

+1
Sometimes avoid it and go over to Clapham Common and come in via Vauxhall but that does add 10 mins to the journey. The A23 is worse now since motorcyclists have been allowed in the bus lane. Depends on how I feel on the day.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
scouserinlondon said:
This is certainly my preferred round, an it has lovely grassy verges on which to fix punctures (grrrr). I just find Streatham high road to be a bit too much to bear when I've just woken up, although some fun road works at the top of kings avenue are nicely snarling it up.

Yes, but it can always be improved on!! Free maps from TFL will give you lots of enjoyment of finding back roads to travel on as well as the safer main roads!!! IMO why put yourself at more risk than is nescessarry!!!

joch

gaz said:
I join the A23 at thorton heath, and cycle all the way up it to the oval during rush hour. Yeah it gets a bit busy in brixton and at some points in streatham. but it's the quickest way overall imo.. you can easily hit over 30mph down brixton hill, so that off sets the traffic in brixton imo.

I never manage that, except on the weekend or very early in the morning. Some idiot will turn left in front of you and the buses are a nightmare since the lanes from brixton hill to brixton are quite narrow. I always avoid brixton centre - seems south london's idiot driver meeting place. Rarely have I witnessed more ignorant driving combined with aggression condensed in such a small area.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Play it by ear scouser - there's no fault in taking the slightly longer route down Kings Avenue- have used both routes myself though have to confess flying down Brixton Hill when it's clear is a real highlight. It's really about what you're comfortable with on the day and as an individual - we all have different tolerances for traffic, manoueverability whilst in traffic, unpredictable peds and motorists etc- A23 can be congested and full of aggressive people and nothing wrong with avoiding it if you're not up for it one morning - it's better to ride safe based on your own perception.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
scouserinlondon said:
When I first started cycling I did a couple of weeks straight up the A23 from Greyhound Lane to Waterloo. But I found the A23 to be totally mental. Choke points included the bus stops by St Leonards Church, streatham Hill and Brixton was completely insane.

As a result I've wussed out and now pootle up Kings Avenue and join the A3 by Clapham north.

Am I being nesh, should I shave 5 mins and take the more direct route, or am I wise to avoid the A23?
No, you're doing the sensible thing. I'm surprised you find it slower. I think it's quicker - getting through Brixton can take quite a time. At the moment, though, the return trip is slowed by those road works just before you get to Clapham North.

By the way - me, yellow top, black bike, knee bandage. The babe, yellow or black top, red bike, following just behind. Give us a wave if you see us.

Top Bottom