A57 Snake Pass Closure February and March 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've seen that the A57 is closed on a few gantry signs recently and assumed it was because of rain / wind / accident / snow - but it seems it is closed due to land slips and will remain closed for a month at least (BBC News story)

Just wondering if anyone (@nickyboy ?) has had a ride up and if it is possible to ride through the closed bit? It's a lovely road to cycle on when it's quiet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The guy who wrote 100 climbs has been up today. Fine on a bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Drove up to the summit from Glossop side on Wednesday for a walk on the top and all fine to there. Bloke Manning the road closure said problem was on the other side, so presumably it's the normal spot that regularly gets repaired where the road always has a kink/dip in it?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Drove up to the summit from Glossop side on Wednesday for a walk on the top and all fine to there. Bloke Manning the road closure said problem was on the other side, so presumably it's the normal spot that regularly gets repaired where the road always has a kink/dip in it?
A few of us are planning a drive 'n' ride to do this. Are you able to suggest a good spot to park in the Glossop area?

Thanks.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's just after that bit, near where the chapel is on the hillside on the left.

Basically a chunk of the hill on the lowside of the road has slipped away several metres, leaving the road unsupported underneath. Particularly on the side of the road you use to head back to Glossop

So heavier riders stick to the other side

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There are plenty of back streets you can park on near the train station, otherwise there are pay and displays in front of the station and around the back of the town hall
Thank you. I gather you live nearby and wonder if you can confirm we could ride from Glossop to the summit. We have a bit of journey, 75 minutes drive, to get to Glossop and would hate to waste a day. A fellow rider has sent me this image and asks does this mean it's closed from Glossop onwards?

274126176_3084210898494961_1478794218570041314_n.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thank you. I gather you live nearby and wonder if you can confirm we could ride from Glossop to the summit. We have a bit of journey, 75 minutes drive, to get to Glossop and would hate to waste a day. A fellow rider has sent me this image and asks does this mean it's closed from Glossop onwards?

View attachment 632745
I haven't been over but others have. The actual landslip is about the 6th "no entry" sign from the left on your map so at the very least you could cycle to there. However I understand people have cycled through the landslip section

If you can get all the way over I suggest riding through Bamford, then Hope, then turn off and take the Edale road. If you're properly fit you can do Mam Nick and ride back to Bamford and over the Snake. Otherwise double back on yourself at Edale.

Edit to add: I've found Strava rides posted this week from Sheffield to Snake summit so it looks v likely you can get all the way over and back again. A deserted Snake Pass is a reall spectacular ride, enjoy

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@nickyboy - thank you

I remember when the Stelvio Pass was closed to traffic due to avalanche risk. Roads had been cleared for the Giro to pass through so it was great for cycling. We had the road to ourselves untill coming through a long fast tunnel a bloody great lorry was coming the other way.

So even if the Snake Pass is shut to normal traffic there will still be a risk of cars and trucks about - just be wary.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I remember when the Stelvio Pass was closed to traffic due to avalanche risk. Roads had been cleared for the Giro to pass through so it was great for cycling. We had the road to ourselves untill coming through a long fast tunnel a bloody great lorry was coming the other way.

So even if the Snake Pass is shut to normal traffic there will still be a risk of cars and trucks about - just be wary.
This is good advice. I can see the Snake from my house and there are the flashing amber lights of road repair vehicles on it now. So resist temptation to think it's totally closed on your descents

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A few of us are planning a drive 'n' ride to do this. Are you able to suggest a good spot to park in the Glossop area?

Thanks.
Why not do my Snake Sandwich? :whistle:

Well, I blame @nickyboy! He planted an idea in the minds of local CycleChatters about the joys of riding a Snake Pass (just about) closed to traffic and the idea took hold.

The sun was shining today and the wind was not as bad as it has been recently so I decided to do a 'Snake sandwich' - Snake Pass from the Glossop side, sandwiched between ascents/descents of Holme Moss from both directions. Now these are both pretty big hills ... Holme Moss goes up to 524 metres and Snake Pass to 512 metres.

The ride nuked my back, and also that of my pal Bill who accompanied me. My heart, lungs and legs were up to the job but my back, neck and arms screamed for mercy!

The route got changed on the way to avoid one steep climb, and this is what we ended up doing: Todmorden, Mytholmroyd, Scout Road, Sowerby village, Triangle, Ripponden, Ripponden Bank, Barkisland, Stainland, Outlane, Scapegoat Hill, Slaithwaite, Meltham, Digley Reservoir, Holmbridge, Holme Moss, Woodhead, Torside, Glossop, Snake Pass, Glossop, Torside, Woodhead, Holme Moss. Holmbridge, Digley Reservoir, Meltham, Marsden, Pole Moor, Deanhead, Ringstone Edge reservoir, Booth Wood reservoir, Pike End, Baitings reservoir, A58, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Todmorden.

144 km (90 miles), 3,500 metres (11,500 ft) of climbing in total, some of it very steep, in one case*** so steep that my legs buckled and I was forced to walk!

Elevation profile:

View attachment 90764

Ouch! :laugh:

***The really nasty climb on the West Yorkshire Cycle Route up from Marsden at about 102 km on the profile above. You turn left up under the railway line, left again and the road kicks up, gets steeper round a bend, and then as your legs are getting frazzled by the 20-ish% gradient, you grovel round a tight right hand bend and the road rears up even more steeply, to at least 25%. The road is too narrow for much zigzagging and there is a cobbled strip down the centre anyway which puts me off even attempting to try!

I am worried about the risk of snapping the chain when giving maximum effort on the climb. I have thoughts of an unplanned genitals-to-top-tube interface!

Maybe I'll give the climb another go towards the end of the summer, but I think I would have to get another 5 kilos off my weight and be significantly fitter than I am now to stand a chance of avoiding the 'walk of shame'. Mind you, I would be skipping about 60 km and a lot of climbing next time.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well, to help you all out I rode the Snake Glossop-Derwent Reservoirs-Glossop this morning

No problem cycling the whole way. Loads of cyclists, just saw one service vehicle

Just one 50m stretch controlled by traffic lights. Nearby there is another stretch with an ominous large crack running down the middle of the road. I understand the Snake will be closed all of March so fill yer boots

Attachments

• 20220226_111042.jpg
    20220226_111042.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Well, to help you all out I rode the Snake Glossop-Derwent Reservoirs-Glossop this morning

No problem cycling the whole way. Loads of cyclists, just saw one service vehicle

Just one 50m stretch controlled by traffic lights. Nearby there is another stretch with an ominous large crack running down the middle of the road. I understand the Snake will be closed all of March so fill yer boots
Thanks for you investigative endeavours. That's at least one Saturday in March sorted :-)

Top Bottom