A57 Snake Pass Closure February and March 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As usual the idiots spoil it for everyone!

I despair sometimes, I really do. We can't be trusted to behave sensibly so have to be treated like children. Then the same idiots that spoil it in the first place will be at the front of the queue to start complaining when they can't have their 'fun' anymore :rolleyes:
Yep, a shame I had a trip planned and several guys from my club were going this coming weekend.

This situations are never helped by those who make accusations of assault and imprisonment. Ridiculous. Clearly a cyclist with issues and a sense of entitlement.

Reactions: C R

Sister Jeanne

Very well, I'll get my coat.
If people use the road it gets closed and if they don't then it might as well be, so it makes no odds.
You might be able to challenge a Section 14 road closure if numerous people really want to use the road but if you don't challenge anything you have no entitlement or sense of it.
Tort Law might seem ridiculous to some but it is real.
As I said, I was a pedestrian (with a bike).
As I said, I actually went a different way.

You might be able to challenge a Section 14 road closure if numerous people really want to use the road but if you don't challenge anything you have no entitlement or sense of it.
Cycling Internet this morning is saying they probably haven't closed the 7 miles of road legally - EXCEPT for the bit with actual works (or a dangerous landslip).
IF TRUE you can probably legally barge past any civilians obstructing your passage, BUT IANAL!!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The issue is the odd "responsible" cyclist wasn't going to cause a problem, but hoards of cyclists wrongly assuming they have the road to themselves and treating it as a closed road, when in reality locals still need access to homes and maintenance vehicles are using it, is a recipe for disaster.

Then add in boy racers doing night-time motor racing up and down it :wacko:.

Right decision to close it and get the repairs carried out once its stable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does it flaming matter - it's just a road, there are loads of other ones you know. I've seen all the ranty idiots (cyclists) going on about the closures on twitter etc - I'm sure there are drivers too, but give over, it needs fixing and quickly. As someone who used to work in construction and road repairs, we used to see all sorts of claims come in from individuals who 'claimed' to have fallen down holes that were barriered. You'll have plant reversing on the road, and the last thing you want is someone sneaking past. Yes the works are on the Sheffield side.

What's happened is folk have ignored the closures during the week, and spoiled it. Would have been fine on a sunday. And what happens if the road gives way and someone gets injured.

Unfortunately, people are stupid, and you've got to adjust for that - there have clearly been enough idiots for Derbyshire to change their mind.

Plenty of better roads to climb. (PS I live round the area and haven't felt the 'need' ever to go ride up when closed. Done it plenty of times when open - oh and it's always better at weekend, and early - less traffic and HGV's. If we'd stuck to weekend use, I'm sure it would have stayed open.

Last edited:

fossyant

Very well, I'll get my coat.
If people use the road it gets closed and if they don't then it might as well be, so it makes no odds.
Tort Law might seem ridiculous to some but it is real.
As I said, I was a pedestrian (with a bike).
As I said, I actually went a different way.

Good god, just get on with it, and ride your bike else where, like you did.

You came on to the site with a rant, but you were in the wrong and got told - whether the fine details of the law are correct, it's about safety.

We all know you wouldn't have walked the route - you'd have jumped back on it (the bike) round the corner. Thing is, all the people ignoring the signs has now caused it to be closed to pedestrians too, so that's ruled out lots of footpaths/bridleways - it's affected the MTB community too as they need to ride short sections of the A57.

I've gone through closed roads before, when there is no-one working. If someone is stopping you, it's for a reason, and usually safety. You'd be in a pickle if a large piece of plant came round the corner and wasn't expecting a cyclist, or a load of them to be there.

Last year, I went down a closed road. weekend, no-one working. It'll be fine, I can walk it. Nope I couldn't unless I fancied a swim, the road was gone ! That entailed a detour of about 10 miles.

fossyant

So did they need to close the Glossop side?

You'll have plant coming up from the motorway network, so work that out - Glossop is very close to the M57/M60. People don't need to be there. As said, those folk I know, went up at weekend, or that very first week where there wan't any work being done. Come last week, there were folk going up during the week, when work was being done. It's not as though you can get anywhere at the top, you've got to come back.

Unfortunately, too many idiots have caused the decision to close the lot. Don't be going asking people to use their common sense !

You'll have plant coming up from the motorway network, so work that out - Glossop is very close to the M57/M60. People don't need to be there.
Not sure that's relevant: have they closed the roads all the way from the Motorway Junction?

Perhaps on the days when cycling is allowed (i.e. starting in a few weeks time, then for about 20 years, say) they will ban all classes of vehicle that have caused accidents to date.

OUt of intrest, has a public road ever been closed for "everyone's safety" just because a few users were being nobs? How about motorways after a mutilpe fog pile-up?

(and WERE any cyclists being nobs? Or is just assume they were, cos they ignored the signage!)

fossyant

Not sure that's relevant: have they closed the roads all the way from the Motorway Junction?

Perhaps on the days when cycling is allowed (i.e. starting in a few weeks time, then for about 20 years, say) they will ban all classes of vehicle that have caused accidents to date.

I would expect most of the trucks with gravel etc will be coming up the Snake side - motorway, then up the Snake Glossop - then if we've got a load of cyclists dicking about taking racing lines cos they think nothing is going oh, to be met by a big dumper... get the point ?

They have closed it because of too many idiots. By all means go up at weekend, but stay away when someone is trying to repair the road. They could have left the road open, and to almost the reservoirs on the Sheffield side, but, and it's a big but, there were too many folk being stupid. Better off closing the lot and protecting the stupid from hurting themselves.

It's a big job to fix, the quicker they can get on with it the better. As I've said, there are plenty of other routes to use, closing one road is no big deal. Woodhead is pretty good (again busy like the Snake) followed by a super fast descent into Sheffield side, then a superbe bit of riding over Strines to the bottom of the Snake pass, where it's open by the reservoirs - far better and tougher route, or for a few more miles, over Holmes Moss, then back towards Strines. It's no big deal.

Last edited:

fossyant

I'd also advise you don't ride the A57 weekdays from the end of the M67 into Glossop anyway, as it's shoot. Full of traffic. The motorway roundabout is a nightmare, for a starter. It's not a pleasant route.

fossyant

So, the next time there's an RTA due to a car driver hooning up like a knob, the road will be closed to motorised traffic - is that what you support?

(an actual crash - not just "people dicking about" )

They are trying to repair the road - they close motorways when there is a serious failure of the structure. The road is knackered. It's not a small pot hole - they will most likely have to remove significant parts of the road, and completely re-build the retaining features - it's sliding down the valley !

You are talking bollocks now. People like you would soon be onto your lawyer if you tripped over getting past the road closure. :wacko:

Top Bottom