A57 Snake Pass Closure February and March 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
1646415632822.png

It would seem some signs have gone up today.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I’ve read online that it’s closed to cyclists now. The thinking is that if you had an accident, it would be really hard to get an ambulance to you. Which makes sense.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The above posts are incorrect. The Snake has been open to cyclists this weekend. However I think it is fully closed Monday-Friday as there is heavy plant working at the landslip site
That closure photo was taken on Friday

In any case,the landslip is only a couple of miles short of the reservoirs. Unless you've got a big ride in mind you could ride midweek Glossop-landslip-Glossop but be mindful maybe some adverse comments if spotted by contractors

Glossop-landslip-Glossop covers the best bits and would be about 16 miles in total but about 2,500ft of climbing

Sister Jeanne

It would be good to have the road open all week, at least away from dangerous works.
Can anyone clarify our legal rights to access the highway away from the works?
I am trying to find out from Derbyshire CC what they have actually authorised under Section 14 of the RTA.

Today, I was heading from the Royal Oak, Glossop to Snake Summit.
Two civilian workmen said I could not pass at the Royal Oak.
I then became a pedestrian wheeling a cycle like you do.
One stood in front of me and placed his hand on me and I informed him I considered this assault.
The other said he would repeatedly stand in front of me. This restricted my movement and I said I considered it unlawful imprisonment.
They took a photo of me and drove off saying they would get the police. I am worried I might get 3 points on my TV licence.

This perhaps becomes more about civil liberties than how much fun it is to descend Snake Hill.
It is disproportionate to close over 10 miles of road to pedestrians and cyclists because they can easily turn round when they get to the 1 mile stretch that may need closing for safety reasons. Lorries cannot turn around.
Actually Doctors Gate is a swamp for walkers this time of year, so why not ramble on the road.

There is a slightly muddy footpath from Queens Drive on to Snake Road which avoids the checkpoint at the Royal Oak. Just saying. I observed from there for quite a while to see what the Stasi did. Nothing happened and it was a trifle chilly, so I went over Chunal instead.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Welcome to cyclechat Sister Jeanne :hello:

Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience at the 'checkpoint'. this must have really spoiled your plans and has obviously played on your mind since.

TBH perhaps you were a bit optimistic expecting to pass the closure signs despite the well publicised and signposted closure and being met and challenged by representatives of the closure authority? It might have played out better if you had approached with the mindset that you would likely be turned back but would try anyway just on the off chance, rather than assuming you would be allowed to continue as 'you were just a cyclist' and then being upset when entry was (rightly?) refused.

What were your actual plans for the ride, to the summit and back, to the roadworks and back or see if you could get all the way through to Ladybower? Did you explain your plans to the people that stopped you, they may have been amiable to allowing you to ride to the summit and back, but then again, they may have had dozens/hundreds of riders agree to turn back at the summit and then in reality continue to and through the worksite, hence a 100% no entry policy?

To be fair, they have to treat every rider as a dangerous halfwit and a liar because it is impossible for them to tell if you are so incompetent that you are going to ride into a hole or collide with heavy machinery, or a liar planning to ride through the roadworks.

There are plenty of alternative great rides in the area so don't feel too bad about missing out on the snake, it is still a great road to ride even when open to vehicles IME. Maybe try heading up the Old Glossop Road to Crowden and climb Holme Moss which is also a great climb/descent.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't go up mid week during times when contractors are working - simple. You'll get workmen getting irate. Just imagine the paperwork when a cyclist get's squashed by a bit of plant working on the repairs. You're OK weekend and out of working hours. It's safety rather than civil rights.

Reactions: C R

Sister Jeanne

When I searched for the legal status for access to the road I actually found lots of reports that people wanted to use the road.
I have attached the Section 14 road closure notice issued by Derbyshire CC (yes, it's in Derbyshire). It only covers a small section of the 13 miles.
I occasionally get challenged by workmen but just get off and walk past with pedestrian rights.
This is the first time I have had pedestrian access blocked so it is a grey area.
So are there any cycling lawyers who want to use the road?
They kept Abney Clough open during the landslips so they could do here. But do keep away from heavy works.

Attachments

• 1b-road-closure-emergency_127731894_3414816_5683a5d04d.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 6

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It would be good to have the road open all week, at least away from dangerous works.
Can anyone clarify our legal rights to access the highway away from the works?
I am trying to find out from Derbyshire CC what they have actually authorised under Section 14 of the RTA.

Today, I was heading from the Royal Oak, Glossop to Snake Summit.
Two civilian workmen said I could not pass at the Royal Oak.
I then became a pedestrian wheeling a cycle like you do.
One stood in front of me and placed his hand on me and I informed him I considered this assault.
The other said he would repeatedly stand in front of me. This restricted my movement and I said I considered it unlawful imprisonment.
They took a photo of me and drove off saying they would get the police. I am worried I might get 3 points on my TV licence.

This perhaps becomes more about civil liberties than how much fun it is to descend Snake Hill.
It is disproportionate to close over 10 miles of road to pedestrians and cyclists because they can easily turn round when they get to the 1 mile stretch that may need closing for safety reasons. Lorries cannot turn around.
Actually Doctors Gate is a swamp for walkers this time of year, so why not ramble on the road.

There is a slightly muddy footpath from Queens Drive on to Snake Road which avoids the checkpoint at the Royal Oak. Just saying. I observed from there for quite a while to see what the Stasi did. Nothing happened and it was a trifle chilly, so I went over Chunal instead.

Well thanks to folk going up mid week when there are contractors (like above), that' it folk, now totally shut.

Cheers. Probably would have been fine at weekends. Now SHUT.

View: https://www.facebook.com/100064439393878/posts/335475278610449/

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As usual the idiots spoil it for everyone!

I despair sometimes, I really do. We can't be trusted to behave sensibly so have to be treated like children. Then the same idiots that spoil it in the first place will be at the front of the queue to start complaining when they can't have their 'fun' anymore :rolleyes:

Top Bottom