A57 Snake Pass Closure February and March 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@fossyant prepares shallow grave for entitled idiots @matticus & @Sister Jeanne
Looks like we're in this together, Jeanne!
1646928158336.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The portaloo had sprung a leak again.
Nah, colin was a bit desperate.

SydZ

Über Member
9 pages and people still bickering.

It's a closed road which inconveniences any one of a number of groups that would want to use it but a number of people seem up in arms over it.

It's closed, will, be fixed in due course and reopened, In the meantime It's not the only road, use another one and get over yourselves. ^_^

Boopop

Guru
Now that Derbyshire CC suddenly cares about the safety of vulnerable road users on this particularly dangerous road, I'm looking forward to the swift construction of a segregated cycle lane on it.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
9 pages and people still bickering.

It's a closed road which inconveniences any one of a number of groups that would want to use it but a number of people seem up in arms over it.

It's closed, will, be fixed in due course and reopened, In the meantime It's not the only road, use another one and get over yourselves. ^_^
Except it isn't a closed road.

It's a 10 mile stretch of road that the local council has decided, unilaterally, to close whilst only having the legal powers to close about 200m of it. The 200m stretch they can legally close can be diverted around on a bike using footpaths and bridleways

The local council claim that they have closed it due to safety concerns. As someone who has cycled this route more than 150 times I can confirm it's currently much safer than it is with normal traffic on it

SydZ

Über Member
Except it isn't a closed road.

It's a 10 mile stretch of road that the local council has decided, unilaterally, to close whilst only having the legal powers to close about 200m of it. The 200m stretch they can legally close can be diverted around on a bike using footpaths and bridleways

The local council claim that they have closed it due to safety concerns. As someone who has cycled this route more than 150 times I can confirm it's currently much safer than it is with normal traffic on it
You are contradicting yourself in your own post.

It isn’t closed but the council have closed it? Got you be one of the other.

You can argue about whether it’s legal or not but the fact is, it’s shut.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You are contradicting yourself in your own post.

It isn’t closed but the council have closed it? Got you be one of the other.

You can argue about whether it’s legal or not but the fact is, it’s shut.
I can put closed road signs up on my local road but that doesn't make it closed.

I'll repeat what I said. The local council has unilaterally decided to enforce a road closure that doesn't have any legal basis. Nobody can just decide to close a road unless they apply for an emergency TRRO as was the case with the landslip section. Otherwise it is subject to a normal consultation process

The local council have been heavy handed in this approach. There was always a sensible compromise solution but they decided not to take it. As such I have some sympathy for those choosing to ride on the bits of the road which are not subject to the emergency TRRO

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mass protest from Glossop town Centre today at 2.00pm if anyone fancies it.

The guy who is organising it is getting the train out from Manchester to Glossop - I did suggest to him that he can't call himself a cyclist if he's not riding the 12 miles out. I'm 'multi-modal' he said, "Lazy" I called him.

Probably a windy one up there - dress appropriately.

C R

Guru

The guy who is organising it is getting the train out from Manchester to Glossop - I did suggest to him that he can't call himself a cyclist if he's not riding the 12 miles out. I'm 'multi-modal' he said, "Lazy" I called him.

Probably doesn't fancy the drag up from Stalybridge, I would agree with the lazy description.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

Suspect he is more of an agitator than a cyclist. ;) Jake Stewart has been trolled by him on Twitter for suggesting that people might want to think twice about attending.

C R

Guru
The A57 from town is flat, not pleasant on the bike in rush hour, but OK for Sat afternoon. That's open all the way to the bottom. Lazy he is
The roundabout at the end of the motorway at the top used to be a nightmare, and I'm not sure I'd enjoy riding the single carriageway from the roundabout to the lights in Mottram. My recollection is from quite a while ago, though, so things may have improved.

Top Bottom