A57 Snake Pass Closure February and March 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Having driven it eastward recently, isn't the climb from Manchester the fun bit? Eastwards would make a nice long descent but it didn't seem particularly interesting or challenging to go up.

Boopop

Guru
The landslip is one set of works on that road, there are more.

...but the legally enforcable road closure is just for the landslip, and there's an alternative bridleway/walking route around it. As I said before, I'm inclined to follow what a well respected Cycling advocacy charity says about the subject.

classic33

Leg End Member
...but the legally enforcable road closure is just for the landslip, and there's an alternative bridleway/walking route around it. As I said before, I'm inclined to follow what a well respected Cycling advocacy charity says about the subject.
There's other legally enforceable restrictions on the other works. How are they affecting each other, as well as the section mentioned. Some running whilst the end of October this year.

The bridleway will bring you out onto the road just before another emergency closure restriction, and more roadworks.

They're roadworks, let them get them done and dusted rather than slowing them up.

Boopop

Guru
There's other legally enforceable restrictions on the other works. How are they affecting each other, as well as the section mentioned. Some running whilst the end of October this year.

The bridleway will bring you out onto the road just before another emergency closure restriction, and more roadworks.

They're roadworks, let them get them done and dusted rather than slowing them up.
Do you have a link to prove any of that? If that were the case I would have thought CyclingUK would have mentioned it. As I've said before, I'll take CyclingUK's words over what others on here have said. Sadly I'm at the other end of the UK so it's impractical for me to go ride it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having driven it eastward recently, isn't the climb from Manchester the fun bit? Eastwards would make a nice long descent but it didn't seem particularly interesting or challenging to go up.
You are best picking the weather - I live Manchester side, so we used to 'try' and pick the ascent based on the tailwind. All I can say, get it wrong, in winter, and it's hell.

fossyant

One guy rode a Beryl leccy bike from Mancheser, but had to get the train back (it's downhill) as his battery ran out.

Quite a few drove out to Glossop to ride, some on trains. Spotted a woman from work on the local TV news.. God forbid anyone actually rides from home up there ..... :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Laugh
Reactions: C R

fossyant

The roundabout at the end of the motorway at the top used to be a nightmare, and I'm not sure I'd enjoy riding the single carriageway from the roundabout to the lights in Mottram. My recollection is from quite a while ago, though, so things may have improved.

It's still horrible - I avoid it - I steer clear these days. I risk Hattersley instead, road is quiet, but you don't hang about round there. ^_^

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you have a link to prove any of that? If that were the case I would have thought CyclingUK would have mentioned it. As I've said before, I'll take CyclingUK's words over what others on here have said. Sadly I'm at the other end of the UK so it's impractical for me to go ride it.
Posted earlier on here.
The alternative is to check on one.network, previously roadworks.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Exciting news. There was a road closed near Epping on my ride today. I looked at the map and the diversion would have been a real PITA. There were some vans and I approached one and asked "do you mind if I sneak through" road closure person said "go on" so I did.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Exciting news. There was a road closed near Epping on my ride today. I looked at the map and the diversion would have been a real PITA. There were some vans and I approached one and asked "do you mind if I sneak through" road closure person said "go on" so I did.

Yep it’s the usual response. Ask nicely and you usually get through.

Sister Jeanne

This is a report from the mass trespass.
About 100 cyclists and 50 pedestrians used the road from Glossop to Snake Summit.

There was no great 'Kinder Trespass' stand off.

I had used a footpath to avoid the blockade and stood in enemy territory in case a blockade was enforced.
A sister unilaterally rode solo past the blockade unchallenged long before the peloton arrived. Respect!
I was downwind of the marshalls and overheard they would allow passage whilst giving safety advice. The road was open.
No police attended, presumably because they don't enforce health & safety ( vs. their duty to prevent imminent death or serious injury ).

It was a wide mix of people. A few serious cyclists but really all ages and all levels of fitness. Walkers photoing the foliage, etc. People doing what they want to do really. All rather spiffing.

classic33

Leg End Member
Reports on Twitter, from others who claimed to have been there, put the figure at over 600 down to just 60.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Like I said before, a good proportion of those attending would never normally dream of walking or cycling up that hill regardless of if the road was open or closed, but have only done so because they need a bit of rebellious excitement in their lives. They'll be looking for their next 'cause' now they've done their bit to 'free the Snake Pass'..... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom